Director of Communications and Marketing
- Full Time
The Director of Communications and Marketing provides vision, leadership, implementation and execution of internal and external communications, public relations and marketing. The incumbent is responsible for planning, executing and tracking the marketing and communication plans across business units and in collaboration with staff and senior leaders and officers. The Director will oversee consistency for messaging and manage communications across channels around mission, core values, strategic goals and longer-term vision of AOM to members, officers, stakeholders and the public.
Communications and Marketing
- Develop and carry out the promotion of AOM programs, products, services, and events to members, target markets, and key stakeholders through clear and consistent communications and marketing to support strategic goals.
- Oversee key marketing initiatives, targeted communications, brand management and the execution of special campaigns as it all relates to membership, events, publishing, services, divisions and interest groups, public relations and governance activities to all external and internal constituencies (members and non-members, practitioners, volunteers, institutions (higher ed., NGOs, corporations), and the public, etc.).
- Create and implement comprehensive communication plans that enhance the organization’s image and position within the marketplace and facilitate internal and external communications.
- Create and implement strategic communication and marketing plans in conjunction with our public relations partners to focus on competitive positioning of AOM in the marketplace through coordinated brand management, increased visibility and awareness, and enhancements in image and reputation as a leading authority on management and organizational scholarship.
- Initiate, develop and carry out a continuous marketing strategy and development plan intended for a global audience of academics, students, practitioners, institutions and non-member public audiences.
- Collaborate with Member Service staff to develop and execute campaigns and programs to successfully recruit, retain and recapture members, including preparation of annual plans and reoccurring efforts in conjunction with publishing and meetings.
- Collaborate with Member Services staff to create and implement engagement activities and initiatives which improve new member onboarding and improve retention.
- Identify and analyze key member and audience needs through surveys, focus groups, and regular member interaction; use results to evaluate marketing strategies and measure effectiveness.
- Write, edit, and manage content for outbound and internal communications including newsletters, blog posts, videos, news stories, membership recruiting materials, sponsorship brochures, e-mail campaigns, articles for external media sources, presentations, and other collateral as required.
- Institute new communication tactics, marketing products, engagement tools, and distribution channels to improve delivery and recognition.
- Engage and work with AOM leaders and staff to develop marketing and communications related to new programs and initiatives including identification and prioritization of trends and development of digital content and collateral.
- Establish and adhere to budgets, timelines, and work plans to ensure marketing efforts support internal objectives, stay on track, and meet or exceed revenue targets.
- Oversee analysis and metrics for all major marketing campaigns across a variety of platforms.
- Develop and oversee agency relationships, vendors, and budgets.
- Identify and employ new communication tactics, marketing products, engagement tools, and distribution channels to strengthen and improve delivery.
- Work collaboratively across all staff and leaders and handle special projects as assigned by Executive Director and COO.
Digital Communications and Audience Development
- Direct the AOM’s email marketing platform and oversee efforts to maximize reach and functionality to successfully engage global audiences.
- Direct and oversee AOM.org and electronic communications as well as the planning, design, content, production and distribution of all print and electronic materials and media as they support the marketing communication needs of AOM.
- Responsible for content plans promoting the AOM reputational brand and plans for audience development and usability to ensure accessibility and personalization leading to deeper engagement.
- Initiate and develop an AOM social media strategy to leverage social channels and promote consistent branding and messaging to reach a global audience.
- Create and facilitate online community development and engagement among members and stakeholders.
- Assess and report on the profile and needs of discreet member groups and stakeholders; develop tailored and targeted messaging to a globally diverse audience while also serving and growing the core membership base.
- Develop integrated communications serving members and stakeholders creating strong reach/frequency.
- Develop the Academy’s stated value proposition and enhance and maintain the membership experience.
- Initiate and implement value proposition statements for all AOM’s activities including publishing, division and interest group communities and events to audiences and stakeholders.
- Leverage existing portals (web, social media, and email) to increase networking and scholarly exchange.
- Lead the agency approach to marketing and communications by fostering inter-departmental collaboration across departments while engaging leadership.
- Day to day management of direct team; instill a culture based on AOM HQ values.
- Ensure effective management practices and the proper the use of financial, human and technology resources.
- Serve as an inspirational mentor to all staff, working to enhance communication, professionalism and achievement of mission and departmental and organizational objectives.
- Communicate and build commitment to AOM’s vision, mission, goals and strategic direction.
- Solve roadblocks, introduce and reinforce best practices, and provide mechanisms to aid the work of direct reports. Facilitate consistency and coherence in purpose. Integrate communication among staff to improve responsiveness, and enhance decision making.
- Carry out the performance management program, working to build and grow capability, while addressing performance issues in a timely and structured manner; coach, mentor, counsel and discipline employee(s) when necessary; generate timely and proper performance management documentation including annual performance reviews.
- Establish and align objectives of direct reports with key business goals. Set expectations, provide guidance and prioritization. Establish procedures to monitor progress. Communicate financial goals and objectives to all staff.
- Facilitate professional development and learning, including increased capability to handle complexity.
- Confer with manager and Human Resources in such areas as training, promotion, discipline, evaluation, supervision, and enforcement of office policies.
- Hire, onboard, and strategically develop direct report(s) to ensure maximum contribution to the advancement of the association.
Financial Management and Reporting
- Work across operations to analyze and evaluate ROI of marketing and communications to identify trends and opportunities for maximizing revenue and sales.
- Lead and oversee budget execution. Monitor and manage budgets. Conduct analysis and forecasting.
- Develop revenue generating and cost saving programs.
- Secure the Academy’s revenue streams manage expenditures and generate new revenue sources.
- Develops and manages budget, evaluates results and develops corrective strategies as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or communications or related field required; advanced degree highly preferred.
- Experience developing marketing, communications and engagement strategies and measuring and evaluating effectiveness of strategies and tactics.
- Senior level experience in marketing and/or communications industry. Familiarity with communication technologies and marketing best practices.
- Deep experience in communications and marketing with experience in conceptualizing and implementing new marketing programs and services.
- Advanced Microsoft Office programs and Excel a must.
- Designs and directs complex and diversified projects, coordinating the work of other professionals, and ensuring program accountability.
- Understanding of and familiarity with technologies underlying web or digital marketing.
- Experience working in a non-profit, higher ed or member-driven organization is a plus.
- Experience developing, implementing, measuring and evaluating multifaceted strategic marketing initiatives, plans and programs.
- Experience and/or understanding of communication best practices at a decentralized organization.
- Extensive management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, manage performance and help with conflict resolution on a large, multi-disciplinary team.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability as a leader, change agent, strategic thinker, and collaborator at all levels across the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to acquire outside resources and build productive relationships within and outside the organization.
- Advanced financial management ability to generate new revenue, manage revenue producing areas and control costs.
- Advanced skill in managing large projects and processes. Ability as a “doer” to step-in where and when necessary to advance the work of projects and processes.
- Highly developed service orientation, communication and interpersonal skills with ability to interpret, lead and translate information across a multi-faceted organization.
- Sound decision making, critical thinking and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to take ownership and initiate, coordinate, manage and execute multi-faceted projects and demonstrate agility while paying close attention to detail in a deadline driven environment.
- Solid work ethic, personal integrity, and high professional standards.
- Proven ability to coach, mentor, develop, and discipline employee(s), when necessary.
- Strong technology aptitude and computer skills with the ability to quickly learn and navigate new systems.
- Ability to understand and appreciate the needs of the association industry and academic market.
- Highly developed service orientation and interpersonal skills to foster and develop member and volunteer.
- Strong ability to be quick on feet and well poised in senior leadership situations. Must be a strong and confident presenter. This is a “front of the house” role.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, and storytelling skills.
- Proven success in building and maintaining long-term relationships with partners, vendors, board members and senior leaders both internal and external.
- Proven ability in managing the fiduciary aspects of planning and delivery of annual budgets.
Periodic domestic and international travel required, up to 10% annually. Travel typically includes use of various methods of transportation (car, plane, rail), depending on the location.
Apply for Director of Communications and Marketing
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly