- Full Time
The Brookings Institution
Equal-Opportunity Employer: It is Brookings policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all of its employees and applicants without regard to their actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, citizenship status, family responsibilities, gender identity or expression, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, veteran status, or any other prohibited basis of discrimination as required by law.
Job Funtion Communications
Posted Date 2019-02-08
Job ID 2019-1992
Salary Commensurate with experience
The Communications Department's mission is to provide the tools, strategies, products and programs to support the brand and its content, and to continually grow Brookings's impact and effectiveness as a change agent for public policy in the United States and around the world. This purpose is realized if we help our scholars raise awareness, set the agenda and shape the debate around the public policy issues they choose to address.
The Front-End Developer collaborates with graphic designers in the Office of Communications to code and develop data visualizations and page layouts that highlight research by Brookings scholars. The Front-End Developer also provides additional support to our website vendor on general site maintenance, as needed, as well as support and technical advice to the analytics team and other staff in the Office of Communications.
Front-End Development (80%)
- Collaborate with graphic designers in the Office of Communications to code and develop data visualizations and webpage layouts to highlight research by Brookings scholars in a compelling and visually-appealing manner.
- Use responsive design in coding and ensure quality control on a range of desktop, tablet and mobile devices
- Ensure that any front-end code written for the site is clean, and reflects the latest coding standards
- Advise researchers across the institution who may be building their own data visualizations, in terms of properly coding their work and ensuring that it meets our website standards
- Provide front-end development support to other Office of Communications staff, as needed, e.g. in developing new email newsletter templates, etc.
General Support (20%)
- Engage with developers at our website vendor to fix site bugs and to make other improvements to the site, as needed
- Work with our website vendor on web development aspects of our upcoming website redesign, as needed
- Advise our web analytics team on database querying in SQL, and set up analytics tracking in Google Tag Manager, as needed
Bachelor's degree required, degree in computer science preferred. Minimum three years of work experience developing for the web. Must present online portfolio of work that shows versatile web coding ability. Experience with front-end and back-end development. Experience developing templates for CMS preferred. Familiarity with optimizing graphics for online use required.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.