Editor-in-Chief, New General Interest Publication
- Full Time
At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, authorities, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
Medium is looking for a forward-thinking leader to launch and lead a new general interest publication focused on the forces—from politics to culture to business to identity—shaping the world. We want someone who is informed and excited about where the world is headed, and who can ask the right questions to guide coverage across topic areas, from the 2020 U.S. election and immigration reform to #MeToo and race relations. You have experience leading coverage, are a capable and inspiring manager and leader, have a Rolodex of writers and editors you’d love to recruit and work with, and are ready to get your hands dirty (and have fun!) building something new.
This person must love to read and have a sixth sense for what other people want to read. Your team will commission original features, columns, and essays by known and unknown writers and experts, bringing stories and perspectives that are not seen elsewhere. You also know the competitive landscape of general interest and politics publications, and have great ideas about how to stand apart, and offer coverage that’s well-reported, thoughtful, and makes readers smarter.
Medium isn’t where readers will find breaking news; instead, we’re looking for stories that will reach and resonate with a broad audience, one that’s interested in the world and where it’s all headed—and in reading great stories and incisive commentary about the issues of the day.
The right person for this role has several years of experience working as an editor, and a stable of talent (both freelance and for staff roles) they’re ready to tap. They should also feel comfortable being the public face of a brand, whether during networking opportunities or media interviews. This editor is a natural leader with an eye for quality, is intellectually curious, and displays excellent judgment at all times.
What will you do?
- Lead the launch of a new Medium publication for a broad audience
- Recruit and hire top-notch editorial talent in areas like politics, opinion, and long-form writing
- Oversee the publication of several stories per day, from timely news analysis and columns to long-form features; oversee publication coverage on a daily, weekly, and monthly cadence
- Identify and engage emerging or undiscovered writers, as well as experts and political leaders who already publish on the Medium platform and can command a bigger audience
- Liaise with design and editorial leadership on the creative execution and packaging of stories
- Liaise with audience development and marketing on various promotional efforts, from newsletter and social media strategy to readership and subscriber trends
- Bring good ideas to work every single day
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in journalism, ideally with several years managing writers and/or editors
- You are passionate about great storytelling and pointed commentary
- You have both big-picture vision about what a general interest publication should cover (and how) in 2019, as well as specific story ideas to go with it
- You care about words and storytelling, and are a stickler for top-tier editorial standards and quality prose
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
This position can be based in either New York or San Francisco.