Editor-in-Chief, New Technology and Science Publication
- Full Time
At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, authorities, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
Medium is looking for a forward-thinking leader to launch and lead a new technology and science publication. We want someone who is informed and excited about where technology and innovation are taking us, and who can ask the right questions to guide coverage across topic areas, from privacy and AI to climate change and fertility research. You have experience leading coverage in the technology and/or science space, are a capable and inspiring manager and leader, have a Rolodex of writers and editors you’d love to recruit and work with, and are ready to get your hands dirty (and have fun!) building something new.
This person must love to read and have a sixth sense for what other people want to read. Your team will commission original features, columns, and essays by known and unknown writers and experts, bringing stories and perspectives that are not being seen elsewhere. You also know the competitive landscape of technology and science publications, and have great ideas about how to stand apart, and offer coverage that’s well-reported, thoughtful, and makes readers smarter about the ideas shaping our future.
Medium isn’t where readers will find breaking news on consumer technology or press releases touting scientific discoveries; instead, we’re looking for stories that will reach and resonate with a broad audience, one that’s interested in technology, science, and where it’s all headed—and in reading great stories about fascinating people and companies making big bets.
The right person for this role has several years of experience covering technology and/or science as an editor, and a stable of talent (both freelance and for staff roles) they’re ready to tap. They should also feel comfortable being the public face of a brand, whether during networking opportunities or media interviews. This editor is a natural leader with an eye for quality, is intellectually curious, and displays excellent judgment at all times.
What will you do?
- Lead the launch of a new Medium publication covering technology and science for a broad audience
- Recruit and hire top-notch editorial talent in the technology and science space
- Oversee the publication of several stories per day, from timely news analysis and columns to long-form features; oversee publication coverage on a daily, weekly, and monthly cadence
- Identify and engage emerging or undiscovered writers, as well as experts and industry leaders, who already publish on the Medium platform and can command a bigger audience
- Liaise with design and editorial leadership on the creative execution and packaging of stories
- Liaise with audience development and marketing on various promotional efforts, from newsletter and social media strategy to readership and subscriber trends
- Bring good ideas to work every single day
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in journalism, ideally with several years managing writers and/or editors
- You are passionate about technology and science, and the trends shaping the future
- You have both big-picture vision about what a technology-oriented publication should cover (and how) in 2019, as well as specific story ideas to go with it
- You care about words and storytelling, and are a stickler for top-tier editorial standards and quality prose
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgmentYou are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
This position can be based in either New York or San Francisco.