Editor-in-Chief, New Health Publication
- Full Time
At Medium, we are launching a series of subscription-based publications that will exist to serve readers, not advertisers. The right editorial leader for our health publication is forward-thinking, scientifically rigorous, creative, and enterprising.
We want someone who has a keen eye for emerging trends and ideas in health and its related fields, and who can ask the right questions to guide coverage across topic areas, from nutrition and fitness to neuroscience and psychedelics. You have experience leading coverage, are a capable and inspiring manager and leader, have a Rolodex of writers and editors you’d love to recruit and work with, and are ready to get your hands dirty (and have fun!) building something new.
This person must love to read and have a sixth sense for what other people want to read. Your team will commission original features, columns, and essays by known and unknown writers and experts, bringing stories and perspectives that are not seen elsewhere. You also know the competitive landscape of health and wellness publications, have great ideas about how to stand apart, and offer coverage that’s well-reported, thoughtful, and makes readers smarter.
Medium isn’t where readers will find aggregation or “study of the day” write-ups. Instead, we’re looking for stories that will reach and resonate with a broad audience, one that’s interested in enjoying their healthiest life, and wants reliable, nuanced coverage on how to do it.
The right person for this role has several years of experience working as an editor, and a stable of talent (both freelance and for staff roles) they’re ready to tap. They should also feel comfortable being the public face of a brand, whether during networking opportunities or media interviews. This editor is a natural leader with an eye for quality, is intellectually curious, and displays excellent judgment at all times.
What will you do?
- Lead the launch of a new Medium publication for a broad audience
- Recruit and hire top-notch editorial talent in areas like health, fitness, and medicine
- Oversee the publication of several stories per day, from timely analysis and explainers to long-form features; oversee publication coverage on a daily, weekly, and monthly cadence
- Identify and engage emerging or undiscovered writers, as well as health experts who already publish on the Medium platform and can command a bigger audience
- Liaise with design and editorial leadership on the creative execution and packaging of stories
- Liaise with audience development and marketing on various promotional efforts, from newsletter and social media strategy to readership and subscriber trends
- Bring good ideas to work every single day
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience in journalism, ideally with several years managing writers and/or editors
- You are comfortable working in a startup environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day
- You are passionate about great storytelling and accuracy in covering and explaining medical research to the layperson
- You have both big-picture vision about what a health and wellness publication should cover, as well as specific story ideas to go with it
- You care about words and storytelling, and are a stickler for top-tier editorial standards and quality prose
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are a straightforward and effective communicatorYou like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
This position can be based in either New York or San Francisco.