Director of Web Technology & Strategy
- Full Time
Elgin Community College
Director of Web Technology & Strategy
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college's mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Responsible for managing, developing, deploying, prioritizing and coordinating the wide array of college and stakeholder content on ECC's website, as an integral part of the marketing and communications function. Provides leadership and direction in planning, developing and maintaining the web environment and other digital initiatives as a member of the marketing and communications team. Conducts a variety of planning and development activities to create short and long-range plans for web site enhancements, improvements and effectiveness; collaborates on digital marketing campaigns, provides strategic direction and leadership for project management and customer service processes; and provides software selection and support. Works closely and collaboratively with the content/creative side of Marketing and Communications as well as the technical side of the web team and IT developers.
• Leads the web design staff to triage, prioritize, schedule and deploy the information and functionality aims of this live dynamic messaging platform essential to the college's visibility, accessibility and credibility.
• Respond to a variety of inquiries (e.g. stakeholders, staff) for the purpose of assisting in the use and expansion of web-related applications.
• Facilitates the placement of content and the enhancement of web applications and utility of the web site. Ensures web team maintains current and accurate information on site.
• Coordinate and organize requests and effectively prioritize, oversee and facilitate projects and requests. Work cooperatively with the college community to develop strategic and tactical plans to facilitate and coordinate the delivery of strategic web services.
• Develops and implements project plans. Develops and manages web development and support procedures, tools, and documentation. This includes writing scope documents, policies and procedures, managing source code, and developing technical support standards and procedures.
• Develops, writes, oversees and publishes written content for the web as needed.
• In concert with the Senior Director of Marketing Strategy, Senior Director of Digital Communications and Creative Services and Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, develops web and digital marketing strategies that meet the current and future needs of the college.
• Works collaboratively and proactively with the wider marketing and communications team s and internal stakeholders to assess new technologies, user expectations, trends and opportunities.
• Works closely with the vertical strategy and digital marketing and communications teams to conduct content gap analyses and with copywriters to develop content.
• Develops key performance indicators, metrics dashboards and reports on effectiveness of digital marketing campaigns web properties and updates/changes.
• Effectively understands the strategic and tactical messaging, marketing and web usability goals of the college and its stakeholders as defined and interpreted by the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer.
• Ensures that web site aligns with and complies with all standards, including but not limited to industry standards, accessibility standards, and ECC brand standards.
• Develops protocols, best practices, policies, procedures, standards and guidelines for web team. Ensure proper documentation of all solutions and web practices.
• Presents regularly to senior leadership and key stakeholder teams on web projects, analytics from digital marketing campaigns and key performance metrics.
• Serves as the "bridge" between the content, creative, digital marketing, communications and programming functions connected by the web site.
• Manages, coordinates and executes web design and content changes with both Marketing and IT.
• Proactively assesses current web site, web and digital marketing technologies and trends.
• Oversees the tracking and testing of new technology and new techniques.
• Establishes procedures and guidelines to support research and development activities to determine the suitability of new technology and new procedures to the college environment.
• Assures that software and web systems are at current revision levels and ensures acceptable levels of performance.
• Responsible for the exploration, implementation, testing and maintenance of new technology.
• Stays current with technological developments and management practices, which involves reading publications, subscribing to Internet lists, attending conferences and workshops, and meeting with colleagues.
• Defines best practice approaches for analyzing online user behavior, configuring web analytics technology, and for interpreting data.
• Manages analytics duties including managing accounts access, site tagging and configuration and user training as needed.
• Serves as a member of the crisis communications team and is available and on-call during crisis situations, working with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer to deploy emergency messaging on the web.
• Others duties as assigned as pertain to the job description
• Bachelor of Arts/Sciences degree required in a related field such as computer science, graphic design or marketing.
• Extensive progressive experience with web applications, web design and digital marketing and communications tactics.
• Five years experience in the management, design, creation, and implementation of professional websites.
• Minimum of three years of experience in a management or supervisory role with increasing responsibilities.
• Ability to perform multiple managerial and technical communication tasks with updated skills to meet changing job conditions.
• Ability to coordinate and organize requests and effectively prioritize, oversee and facilitate projects and requests.
• Ability to create and explain standards for design, navigation and browser capability (e.g. accessibility, fonts, formatting, icons, images, layout techniques and modularization) to non-technical audiences; lead effective design strategies that align with the college's brand and integrated marketing strategy for large, complex projects; and carry out strategic planning activities.
• Ability to: manage large complex projects and teams; effectively negotiate/influence others; communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing; analyze and problem-solve a variety of issues; carry out strategic planning activities.
• Demonstrated experience and evidence of an ability to influence and lead others to garner support and excitement around strategy that may be new and different to others.
• Demonstrated experience building and maintaining strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Strong business acumen and data analytics skills to include the development of metrics to manage success of implemented strategies.
• Demonstrated out of the box thinker and creative problem solver.
• Proven skills in planning and managing web and digital marketing/communications projects including preparing and maintaining accurate records of upgrades and service requests.
• Understanding of the creative side and analytical side of marketing; ongoing awareness of digital marketing strategies; ability to manage the college's brand identity within the marketing strategy.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to work well in a team environment; ability to work effectively in a multi-tasking environment.
• Knowledge of effective web design, web development, user interface, relational database management, information architecture, CMS systems, SEO, SEM, analytics, graphic design and illustration. Ability to understand the use of applications and frameworks that would be used for the position (MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, HTML, CSS, JSON, XML, .NET, Bootstrap, SASS, etc…)
• Full understanding of the technical/programming requirements and possibilities that relate to site functionality.
• Solid/working knowledge of how to develop, use and deploy keywords and phrases used in metadata within the HTML code that the programmers in IT would be developing.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Extensive experience supervising in a union environment preferred
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment, Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.