Editor @ Readily
We are an early-stage startup looking for a talented, connected, creative and highly driven Editor to lead and refine the editorial and curatorial vision and writer engagement strategy for Readily, a new storytelling-focused mobile app.
Readily’s mission is to connect global audiences with crafted, creative stories, tied to a sense of place. We want to build and foster a community of writers and readers interested in exchanging thoughtfully told stories that will be discoverable through our app, based on the reader's location. Our vision is to make Readily one of the most accessible and relevant destinations for modern storytelling in the world.
The Editor will be responsible for working with the founding team and strategic partners in the publishing, travel, news and magazine industries to develop, manage and oversee an editorial and curatorial voice that fulfills this vision, enabling talented writers to share their stories through our platform.
The ideal candidate will be a natural storyteller, a strong writer, and have an intuitive understanding of the changing media landscape, cross-platform publishing and changing user behaviors around online content consumption. They will be excited to join a small team and hustle hard to grow an audience of writers and enthusiastic readers around the Readily app. The candidate will be excited to build strategic partnerships with existing content platforms including established, international beacons of journalism, publishing and film production.
The Editing position is part time, 20 hours per week and could be remote. The ability to work independently and to collaborate with and manage a distributed team, while delivering excellent work, will be essential.
- Define the editorial and curatorial vision for the Beta app
- Develop a workflow that facilitates the rapid accumulation and refining of compelling, emotionally impactful, short, place-based stories.
- Review written and researched content and edit it into a format for use in the app
- Working with our researchers and writers, select 1000 compelling stories for the beta app
- Edit and curate submitted stories, encouraging writers to submit and building their confidence with constructive feedback.
- Develop, implement and maintain strategies to promote writer engagement
- Drive tangible and measurable results against agreed goals and KPIs
- Oversee the quality of content within the app
- Perform outreach to prospective writers we’d like to invite to participate in the app
- Initiate and develop successful strategic partnerships with existing content platforms
- Interface regularly with the founding team to share insights and learnings
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Experience and Skills
- 5+ years in Editing roles, ideally with a background in journalism
- Ability to define, own and set a clear editorial vision, for the work of professional writers and user submitted content
- Proven ability to edit accurately and rapidly, working through a high volume of content quickly, separating green-lit from rejected stories.
- Ability to provide accurate, timely and constructive feedback to writers who have submitted stories for improvements before publication
- Experience with online editing for a platform including editing & curating written and visual content
- Proven ability to be focused and effective, balancing priorities and tasks in a startup environment with a high degree of ambiguity & flexibility
- Exceptional stakeholder management and communication with experience building collaborative workflows for distributed teams
- Exceptional work ethic, hustle and problem solving
2. Knowledge and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Literature, History or related field
- Masters degree a bonus
Readily provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy and any other category protected by law.