Product Manager @ Readily
We are startup looking for a creative and strategic digital product manager to lead a distributed team building Readily, a new, storytelling-focused mobile app with global growth potential.
Readily’s mission is to connect global audiences with crafted, creative stories that are tied to a sense of place. We want to build and foster a community of writers and readers interested in exchanging thoughtfully-told stories that will be discoverable through our app, based on the reader's location. Our vision is to make Readily one of the most accessible and relevant destinations for modern storytelling in the world.
The Product Manager will be responsible for setting the strategy direction and product roadmap with the founding team. The product manager will also lead development initiatives such as forming strategic partnerships in the publishing, travel, news and magazine industries. From high-level planning to in-the-weeds execution, the product manager will be working to grow the app’s userbase of talented writers sharing their stories with engaged, active readers through our platform.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience with managing the development of digital products, especially two-sided platforms, taking them from early-stage to scale. The product manager will have an intuitive understanding of the changing media landscape, cross-platform publishing and user behaviors around online content consumption. The right candidate will be excited to join a small team and hustle hard, leading the app through a successful New York Beta and onwards through public launch. The candidate will be excited to build strategic partnerships with existing content platforms including established, international beacons of journalism, publishing and film production.
The Product Manager position is, 20 hours per week (for now) and could be remote. The ability to work independently, and to collaborate with and manage a distributed team, while delivering excellent work, will be essential.
For the right candidate, cash-equity compensation is a possibility.
- Set the strategic direction for a team with limited time and resources, focusing relentlessly on growing an audience of writers and readers for the app and delivering a compelling, world-class digital product experience.
- Working with a project manager, ensure the remote engineering team is delivering the MVP app on time and on budget.
- Oversee the delivery of design assets from our brand and UI designer.
- Develop and lead a team workflow that facilitates the rapid accumulation of compelling, emotionally impactful, short, place-based stories. The current team consists of a researcher, editor and the founder, but further distributed resources will likely be added to the mix.
- Work closely with the founder to determine a growth-path and business model for the app.
- Develop, implement and maintain strategies to promote writer engagement.
- Drive tangible and measurable results against agreed goals and KPIs.
- Initiate and develop successful strategic partnerships with existing content platforms.
- Interface regularly with the founding team to share insights and learnings.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Skills:
- 5+ years’ experience managing digital platform products, ideally with a background in journalism, media or publishing
- Ability to define, own and set a clear roadmap and KPIs for the distributed team
- Proven track record of growing a viable user-base for a digital product
- Proven ability to be focused and effective, balancing priorities and tasks in a startup environment with a high degree of ambiguity & flexibility
- Experience developing a viable business model for a content & publishing platform
- Exceptional stakeholder management and communication with experience building collaborative workflows for distributed teams
- Exceptional work ethic, hustle and problem solving
Knowledge and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Extensive experience with launching and monetizing digital platform products
- Masters degree a bonus
Readily provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy and any other category protected by law.