1 day left
- Full Time
The Art Director’s primary responsibility will be to follow senior art management’s creative vision for their assigned publishing list. The workload will consist of original design and taking files to pre-press project managing assigned titles through all phases of the book making process. The Art Director establishes and maintains ongoing communication with the Art, Editorial, and Production departments to ensure cost efficiency, timely execution, quality control and follow-through from design transmittal to bound books of assigned titles.
Essential Functions :
- Manages in-house art department staff. Daily supervision of those direct reports and project management of their assignments will be essential.
- Manages a portion of the interior designs for assigned titles by hiring and supervising freelance designers, illustrators and photographers. Designs a portion of interiors for assigned titles, working closely with Art, Editorial, and Production departments.
- Maintains and manages Sterling Prepress asset and file requirements for all assigned projects through all phases of the book’s creation.
- Improves and maintains standards of design, file creation and color printing for all projects through collaboration with the Editorial and Production departments. Reviews and approves color proofs with the Production department.
- Creates policies, procedures, schedules, and key measures of freelance resources for the Creative team.
- Maintains and assists in the development of departmental and publishing procedures, including increased productivity, communication, collaboration, design creativity and quality.
- Exercises fiscal responsibility in managing design and production of titles.
- Drafts all work for hire contracts and manages all legal aspects of group’s titles.
- Works with Photo Director to create new and original content by prop shopping and helping style location shoots.
- 4 year college degree with major in Graphic Design, or equivalent work experience required.
- Minimum 3 -5 years experience as an Art Director in a book publishing Art department.
- Minimum 5 years experience in book publishing industry.
- Strong background in art direction and production of illustrated, nonfiction adult trade titles.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, with knowledge of their application in book production.
- Strong organization, time-management, prioritization, multi-tasking, independent-decision making, problem-solving, interpersonal, analytical, etc. skills.
- Works well under deadlines, self-starter, innovative, team-oriented, customer-focused, etc.