Temporary Graphic Designer (90 to 120 day assignment)!
- Full Time
Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum is seeking a temporary graphic designer to support a myriad of design projects over the course of a 90 to 120 day assignment (starting May 2019).
The graphic designer will be responsible for overall graphic design at Cooper Hewitt, ensuring consistency of the Museum's identity and brand on all digital and print pieces, and will ensure compliance with Cooper Hewitt brand guidelines and the Smithsonian brand. He or she will implement design systems and guidelines for visual communications that extend and complement the Cooper Hewitt brand identity designed by Pentagram. The graphic designer shall work in conjunction with his/her colleagues and the Museum’s director to maintain a consistent identity across all the Museum’s communications, both digital and printed.
Further, the graphic designer plans and executes production of all graphic elements for all visual communications, handling schedules, printing and production. The graphic design material must promote Cooper Hewitt as a contemporary local, national and international design resource for its target audiences. The designer collaborates with many different teams, including but not limited to Museum staff, editors, guest curators, exhibition designers, web and media developers, students, project teams and external organizations.
• Design and create materials of a high and consistent quality, with responsibility for selection and oversight of production. Design pieces will support many different Museum departments from Communications to Curatorial to the SHOP, whatever is necessary, across the Museum.
• Act as project lead for all graphics projects including but not limited to meeting production schedules, hiring external vendors, and managing contracting process.
• Conduct press checks when necessary and ensure that all direct mail pieces meet postal requirements.
• Assist in any other duties assigned by the Museum’s leadership team.
• Prepare graphic assets, layouts and templates for web and interactive media for online and in-gallery display, as needed.
• Design and produce exhibition signage, interior and exterior, using template or creating new exhibition graphic identity.
• Design banners for website and social media platforms, as needed.
• Design advertising for museum programming – print, outdoor and online – including execution of resizing, match prints, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field
• Outstanding creative portfolio
• 3+ years work experience as a graphic designer in a museum or related results-oriented cultural environment
• Excellent computer skills, including Adobe Creative Suite, HTML/CSS/JS, MS Office
• Familiar with web platforms and current digital options
• Understanding of Wordpress, Drupal, and MailChimp theming/templating environments
• Understanding and commitment to accessibility guidelines and principles of universal design
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work effectively and successfully in a collaborative team-oriented work environment
• Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and the ability to plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
SALARY: $29.62 per hour
EXCEPTIONAL SMITHSONIAN BENEFITS
• Health Insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
• Dental (Delta Dental)
• Vision (Vision Services)
• Annual Leave (4 hours a pay period)
• Sick Leave (4 hours a pay period)
• Historic and landmark offices/library and garden
• Arthur Ross Terrace and Garden
• 92Y Fitness Center
• Free Entrance to Museums and Galleries
• Design Library
• Employee Assistance Program
• Smithsonian Network
• Museum Events: Curatorial Talks and Tours (Cooper Hewitt)
• Smithsonian Network
• Tarallucci e Vino (Museum Cafe) Discount
• Museum Shop Discount
• 92Y Fitness Center
• General Employee Discounts
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit cover letter and resume addressing qualifications of the job advertisement, names and contact details for three professional references, along with a portfolio link to HRgraphicdesign@si.edu