Deputy Digital Editor
- Full Time
ABOUT THE PBS NEWSHOUR
With roots in public service journalism beginning in 1973, the PBS NewsHour today is on a mission to bring balanced, in-depth news coverage to all. Innovative and fast-paced, life at the NewsHour is focused on collaboration, trust, and above all, enterprising important, considered news. NewsHour is unique in that the team is small and tight-knit, and must accomplish what no other daily news organization does: be the gold-standard of reporting for a nightly, hour-long broadcast, and to crucial digital platforms.
You’ll enjoy working at the NewsHour if you enjoy contributing to meaningful reporting, working on small teams in which your ideas are not just valued but vital, and pushing yourself to grow your skills every day.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Deputy Digital Editor (DDE) is a leader on breaking and day-of news coverage for pbs.org/newshour. The DDE is responsible for being tapped into breaking, developing and trending news and providing regular communication about the state of the news landscape to the staff, as well as to the PBS NewsHour audience.
YOUR FIRST 90 DAYS
You’ll get to know your team and the wider organization, and how each group functions independently as well as part of the whole. You’ll establish key relationships with your peers, while being exposed to executives through participation in editorial planning meetings. You’ll contribute to enterprising and breaking news, features, and analysis reporting for the website starting on day one, and by day 30 you can expect to see your bylines on a variety of digital platforms.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
You are regularly contributing to both breaking and longer-form, in-depth news reporting. You bring a vibrancy and terrific ideas to pitch meetings. You get kudos from not only your immediate team, but from others throughout the organization for your ability to connect as well as to get the job done. You’ve developed trust with executive leadership. And you have grown your own skills and can point to evidence in your improved reporting.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Experience producing the highest quality, creative original content for a nationally visible digital platform.
- Impeccable writing and copy editing skills.
- Experience contributing and coordinating text and video content to digital publication and social media.
- Understanding of what it takes to build partnerships across departments.
- A knack for pitching irresistible stories and constructing compelling narratives.
- The relentlessness needed to chase down a lead over days, weeks, or months.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in digital journalism.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive and competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Generous 403(B) employer match
- Free parking
- Holiday and paid leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
PBS NewsHour is a wholly-owned, non-profit subsidiary of WETA. For a full job description or to apply through our online application, please click here to be directed to the careers page at WETA. To confirm that a WETA or PBS NewsHour job posting is under recruitment, please visit our websites for our current job postings list: www.weta.org and www.pbs.org/newshour/.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.