- Full Time
Des Moines is ranked as one of America’s best cities to live and raise a family. Located in the heart of Iowa, KCCI-TV is the lead source for the latest local headlines and live alerts. If you are motivated by working with a talented award-winning team of professionals, look no further! Best of all, you'll become part of Hearst Television, one of the premier broadcast companies in the country.
KCCI 8 News is looking for a reporter that has the ability to generate story ideas, write compelling stories, and do compelling live shots. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong enterprise reporting and we’re looking for someone who finds the stories that lead newscasts. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality, this reporter will not be afraid to ask the tough questions. We are looking for a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills.
- Works with producers in newscast production
- Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on day-of news or special project assignments
- Works with or without a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound
- Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
- Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
- Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
- Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Past reporting experience (1-3 years) required
- Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
- Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
- Related military experience will be considered
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
- Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
- Has a valid driver’s license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record
- Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
- Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.