1 day left
- Full Time
Edit and write news and feature content for and assist in the production of Scrap magazine and related media, delivering work that meets the informational needs and quality standards of readers, advertisers, ISRI, and Scrap’s editorial directors.
Contribute to the extension of Scrap’s reach through other media, including the website, e-newsletters, and Twitter.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Report and write well-researched, accurate feature articles and departmental content for Scrap and related media as assigned, delivering work that meets the informational needs and quality standards of readers, advertisers, and the editorial director.
- Substantively edit, copyedit, fact-check, and proofread feature articles, columns, and departmental editorial content for Scrap and related media as assigned. Conduct additional research and interviews as needed to ensure content is thorough and accurate.
- Write assignment letters and provide background material and source lists when needed.
- Independently develop contacts/sources for editorial content to be written or assigned to freelancers.
- Implement editorial quality standards based on AP and Scrap style when writing, editing, fact-checking, and proofing content.
- Make editorial and small design corrections in InDesign files for Scrap and related media.
- Attend and report on industry meetings as assigned, including taking photographs for publication.
- Assist in developing the magazine’s editorial calendar by identifying potential story ideas across our coverage areas.
- Build a base of knowledge about the scrap recycling industry and identify valuable news and trends by monitoring industry media and attending selected industry meetings.
- Maintain Scrap’s style manual and update it as needed.
- Maintain the master meetings list for Scrap, the ISRI calendar, and other ISRI products and provide the appropriate section of the list for each issue of the magazine.
- Substantive editing
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook
- Some knowledge of InDesign
- Basic photography skills
- Ability to follow editorial style manuals
- Some familiarity with basic multimedia production (video, podcasts) preferred
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Bachelor’s degree required, major in journalism preferred. Six or more years’ experience in magazine reporting, writing, and editing or the equivalent.
Excellent command of the English language, including but not limited to excellent grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
Proven ability to meet stringent deadlines.
Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
Proven success in listening, framing appropriate questions, and welcoming diverse perspectives.
Organizational skills, creativity, interpersonal skills
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Apply for Sr. Reporter/Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly