Software Engineer II
- Full Time
At Future, Engineering is one of the major building pillars for company success. As we are continuing to grow the engineering presence in our New York office, you will be joining a team of other full stack developers of various levels (from Junior to Lead) to help them define – and build – the new generation of Future Platform. While our New York team is still relatively small, we always go beyond geographical boundary and partner with our larger engineering organization on a daily basis. As a larger team, we encourage full transparency and collaboration between both individual contributors, and across teams.
Job Summary & Purpose
Software Engineer II is a full-stack development role that is expected to learn, and work with, various platforms spanning front-end and back-end stacks. The purpose of the role is to increase work cadence, bring fresh ideas and work with the team on building out the platform.
Key role responsibilities
- Pick up and assist with migration efforts, moving some of the legacy systems to the standardized Future platform.
- Work with primary stakeholders on daily tasks (Project Management, Product Management, AdTech, etc).
- Help with the core platform development: design services, work on definition, collaborate with other teams on implementation.
- Keep improving development processes
Essential skills and experience
- Expert with PHP and experience with MVC framework(s), such as Symfony
- Expertise with HTML5, CSS, SASS and responsive design principles
- Comfortable with Linux shell and solid command of source control tools (git)
- Proficiency in Object Oriented Programming and web applications design patterns
- Proficient in Service Oriented Architecture and experience working with RESTful Web Services
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work well with both technical and non-technical members of the team
- Superb attention to details and the ability to accurately estimate work effort
- Motivated self-starter and finisher
- 5+ years of experience developing web applications
- Bachelor degree in CS or related discipline, and/or equivalent work experience
Nice to have / bonus
- Experience working with both AWS and hosted/hybrid systems
- Working knowledge of serverless architecture and services (AWS Lambda)
- Hands-on experience with various build/release processes and philosophies
- Interest in functional programming
- Experience with Go
- Good understanding and experience with GraphQL
We are Future, a global multi-platform media company with big ambitions and the talent to bring them to life. Together, we connect people to their passions through the high-quality content we create and the innovative technology we pioneer.
We’re the name behind market-leading brands in specialist sectors like technology, gaming & entertainment, music, creative & photography, field sports, knowledge and home interest. Specialists in our field are passionate about what we do, every year we attract millions of consumers to our websites, magazines, events and social spaces.
We’re dedicated to creating loyal fans of our brands, and the number is growing all the time. But that’s not enough – we’re continually adding to our portfolio, building on our technology and investing in our people. Everything we do is born from our desire to innovate and influence and we restlessly look to improve. We hire people we can learn from and we work together to push the boundaries of what can be done.
Together, we’re exceeding the expectations of everyone we exist for – our audiences, clients and shareholders. Our shareholders have watched Future transition into an innovative global platform for specialist media, our share price has performed well in parallel with both the transition and our growing ability in making our content pay. Shares Magazine have issued their 10 stocks for 2018 which includes Future as one of their top picks.
We reap the rewards too, of course, with a fun and creative place to work and the kind of personal development that makes every day even more enjoyable and challenging. We believe it to be a really exciting time to join Future.
Every kind of talent is celebrated and nurtured here. We believe in teamwork that transcends location, which means we don’t have a Future headquarters. Across our offices in the UK, US, France and Australia, each and every one of us is playing a part in driving our business forward.