We have an exciting opening for an Editorial Assistant to join Penguin Random House! The Portfolio imprint is seeking an Assistant to work with bestselling non-fiction titles in the business, self-help, and memoir categories. Reporting to an Editor, this role will provide administrative support, read and evaluate submissions, and help oversee the entire editorial process from finished manuscript to bound book.
Portfolio authors are internationally recognized economists, leaders, professors, CEOs, media personalities, and movement starters, and the mission is to help them refine and position their message, build their tribes, and spread their ideas far and wide. The ideal candidate for this position is a self-starter with a strong interest in current events who would be excited to be at the forefront of the changing landscape of business, work, and politics.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Evaluating manuscripts and writing reader reports for book proposal submissions.
* Logging agented submissions, sending rejection letters, drafting contract and check requests, generating sales reports, and tracking payments and invoices.
* Providing editorial feedback and communicating between authors, agents, and internal departments.
* Writing flap copy, title information sheets, and catalog copy.
* Providing general administrative support, including answering phones, taking messages, scheduling meetings, booking conference rooms, making copies, filing, etc.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* A genuine interest in book publishing, specifically non-fiction
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
* Strong ability to multitask and meet deadlines
* Proven ability to think creatively and critically
* Strong attention to detail
* Excellent organizational skills
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word
Salary for this position is $40,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley Books, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at penguinrandomhouse.com.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.