Media and Public Relations Associate
6 days left
- Full Time
The Institute for Children, Poverty, and Homelessness is a New York City-based policy research organization focused on family and child homelessness both in New York City and throughout the United States. ICPH is dedicated to bringing family and child homelessness into focus through research, policy briefs, and interactive data tools. ICPH’s publications inform government officials, policymakers, advocates, academics, and service providers from across the country to promote a robust, evidence-based dialogue on family and child homelessness.
About the Opportunity
ICPH is seeking a Media and Public Relations Associate to increase the visibility and awareness of its policy work through strategic media coverage and targeted communication. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated team player. The message of ICPH’s work must be crafted to appeal to a number of audiences with varying levels of awareness on the topic of child, student, and family homelessness.
The Media and Public Relations Associate will have a comprehensive set of responsibilities including but not limited to cultivating relationships with local and national press and media outlets, crafting press releases and pitches on both primary and secondary content, and tracking outreach results. In addition, the Media and Public Relations Associate will help build and maintain relationships with relevant government, advocacy, provider, and research organizations.
● Identify appropriate and strategic press and media opportunities.
● Research and develop story ideas.
● Draft materials such as pitches, press releases, and briefing materials.
● Track relevant news and industry trends to inform the overall communications plan.
● Develop targeted local and national audiences for the various aspects of ICPH’s policy work.
● Minimum 2-3 years of experience in media or public relations or relevant field.
● Demonstrated experience with generating press and/or media coverage.
● Strong written and verbal communications skills, including excellent copy editing.
● Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences.
● Experience with programs such as Cision, WordPress, Basecamp, or Salesforce a plus.
● Degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or a related field with equivalent work experience.
Salary is commensurate with experience.