Director, Audience Development
- Full Time
YR Media (formerly Youth Radio) is seeking a Director, Audience Development.
This position is the central pillar to YR’s new media strategy and will be the first role of this type at our organization.
YR Media produces a unique mix of news, opinion, documentary features, arts and culture commentary, curated and original music, a podcast a more. Successful candidates for this role are digital strategists who can engage across these channels and who can help us distribute and promote both the brand as a whole as well our unique signature products.
The ideal candidate has extensive digital marketing and social media experience, and a proven track record using data and analytics to set strategy and actionable growth plans in a content setting. Experience in a media organization, a content-driven editorial setting, and with marketing content to the target age demographic (18-28 year-olds) is preferred.
The Audience Development Director is responsible for leading the audience acquisition and growth strategy for the YR Media brand across owned properties, including: establishing a set of aggressive KPIs and reporting rubrics, working in tandem with the managing editors to set organization-wide content strategy, leading and managing paid and organic content marketing strategies, identifying and leading potential sponsorship and revenue generating opportunities, and managing a team of audience development staff and rotating interns.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Leads audience acquisition and growth strategy for the YR Media brand, including developing and implementing a strategy for distributing YR Media content across owned and partner platforms.
- Establishes a set of aggressive KPIs around audience development for the YR Media brand, and a rubric for reporting and tracking these metrics organization-wide.
- Sets a strategy for, builds out, and oversees an audience development team, inclusive of a social media strategist, partnerships and platform managers.
- Oversees strategy and operations of the social media team, including collaborating with the social media strategist to mentor and train a team of part-time, paid young people (ages 16-24) who will produce the majority of social content and creative, including motion graphics, video, copy and illustrations across YR Media-owned platforms.
- Oversees strategy and operations of YR Media newsletters and similar content distribution tools, in collaboration with the membership, editorial and arts teams.
- Leads and manages paid content marketing and advertising opportunities, including managing digital and PR agencies.
- Identifies strategic partnerships with brands and platforms that focus on the YR Media target audience (ages 18-28), and on driving audiences to consume YR Media content.
- Builds relationships with young bloggers, artists, influencers, athletes, creators, etc. to establish custom distribution networks for YR Media content.
- Works in collaboration with development team to identify potential sponsorships and revenue generating partnerships, and collaborate to develop a strong audience to membership funnel.
- Provides strategic thought leadership; strong communication skills required.
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned and required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 7-10 years of relevant professional experience.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a related field. Excellent written editing skills, including copy editing/writing and fact-checking
- The ideal candidate has extensive digital marketing and social media experience, and a proven track record using data and analytics to set strategy and actionable growth plans in a content setting.
- Experience in a media organization, a content-driven editorial setting, and with marketing content to the target age demographic (18-28 year-olds) preferred.
This position supervises designated members of the Audience team, and may provide oversight to interns and contractors.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Approximately 90% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. Primarily works in an office environment, requiring the following activity: lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 20 pounds, kneeling, bending. Must be able to use standard office equipment.
Please provide the following application materials:
- Cover letter sharing your interest in our organization and this position
- 2-3 samples of relevant work showing preparation for this role, which might include writing samples, summary of audience acquisition or successful growth plans, digital marketing samples, etc. in whatever format that best highlights your work.
No phone calls, please.
YR Media is committed to the principles of equal opportunity and diversity and to attracting and supporting a staff who represent the rich diversity of the communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.