Senior Director, eLearning & Curriculum Learning
- Full Time
Sesame Workshop is seeking an experienced and innovative Senior Director, eLearning & Curriculum Development for the formal learning group. This is a small team dedicated to innovating on research-based approaches to curriculum and instructional design in order to optimize learning and impact for children and their educators and families.
This Sr. Director role provides informed effective educational and editorial leadership of a growing initiative and business. This business is dedicated to the effective use and development of curriculum resources to meet the educational needs of children (O-Grade 3), their teachers, and families in formal learning situations.
The Sr. Director will be responsible for design, development of media-enhanced research-based educational content, products and services aligned to school-based curricula at national and state standards that build on Sesame Workshop’s trusted reputation as an innovator, researcher, and educational media organization. Our products and services are cross-platform – print, interactive digital, linear media.
Key areas of responsibility include:
Develop and execute curriculum and content, strategy, teaching and learning. Working collaboratively with Sesame Workshop project teams (project management, legal, finance, production, research, content & curriculum), external partners, and vendors. Range of services include curriculum in all domains for children, lessons and professional development, and family engagement.
- Translate pedagogy into product and services – from concept through product development, formative research, and successful implementation in order to ensure measurable learning outcomes.
- Ensure that the content, organization, and style of each “manuscript” to be published meets Sesame Workshop’s editorial standards and voice for developmental appropriateness, accuracy, clarity, creativity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- This role leads the educational and editorial development of selected resources – digital, print, training, and other services that will be used and validated during the research phase as well as distributed, maintained, and refreshed according to evolving business parameters.
- Develop and manage schedules, budgets, and capacity building through external freelancers and vendors.
Thought Leadership and External Representation:
- Cultivate and maintain academic advisors, epresent the Sesame Workshop initiative to key stakeholders, and provide presentations – especially to Sesame leadership, partners, funders, keynotes, and trainings when necessary.
- Advance the mission of Sesame Workshop’s formal learning work through strategic engagement with external stakeholders and partners.
- Work collaboratively with Sesame Workshop’s content and curriculum group, social impact, communications, events.
- Inform and develop presentations.
Business Portfolio Management:
- Help develop and then manage for-profit and not-for-profit partnerships that help deepen impact and extend reach. This requires managing selected existing partnerships as part of the formal learning group’s expanding portfolio.
Other Responsibilties include:
- Help develop and execute against strategic and long-range plan
- Develop editorial and style guides
- Hire and manage external freelancers and vendors
- Map content plan for new and existing assets
- Review product specs and content integration for fidelity to learning goals
- Capture and share issues and solutions related to content and instructional design
- Manage the day-to-day content development cycle and associated staff
- Define and deliver against strategic product development plans
- Ensure creative and timely execution of each product and product line
- Ensure commitment to the Workshop and product brand(s) and imprints
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s in education or child development preferred
- 10 years of editorial experience with 5+ years of educational publishing experience in a management role.
- Deep knowledge of child development and pedagogy
- Proven experience in digital and interactive media
- Experience in linear story-based media, video, a plus
- Classroom teaching experience a plus
- Mastery of all of Microsoft Office Suite