- Full Time
U.S. News & World Report is seeking an experienced, full-time copy editor for our consumer-oriented automotive site, usnews.com/cars. U.S. News has earned a reputation as the leading provider of news and information that improves the quality of life of its readers. U.S. News Best Cars helped more than 40 million car shoppers in the past year through its rankings and reviews of new and used cars, automotive news and analysis.
The primary responsibilities of the copy editor are to copy edit consumer-oriented car reviews that are written based on the opinions of automotive critics, as well as safety and reliability data. The copy editor will ensure that all reviews correctly summarize reviewer opinion, meet publication standards, conform to AP style and are free from spelling, punctuation, grammatical and factual errors.
Enthusiasm about cars and the automotive market is a big help, but the best person for the job is more enthused about language, grammar and clarity of thought and passionate about helping consumers navigate the new and used car markets.
- Copy edit new and used car reviews, feature stories and other content for grammar, spelling, AP style, punctuation, SEO keywords, formatting and overall flow and consistency
- Review and ensure the accuracy of monthly manufacturer car deals, sometimes entering deal information into the content management system
- Collaborate with writers and editors on a regular basis to review edits
- Field grammar and style questions from writers and editors
- 2-3 years of professional copy-editing experience
- Expert knowledge of AP style
- Experience working with online content management systems
- Moderate knowledge of search engine optimization best practices
- Self-starter with the ability to meet deadlines and multitask
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in print or digital publications or technical writing preferred
Applicants must include a cover letter and resume for consideration.
We are offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes healthcare, vision, dental, and 401(k) plan.