- Full Time
The Senior Writer crafts compelling content intended to uphold and advance the missions of the U.S. Naval Academy Alumni Association and Foundation across a wide range of channels, most notably the organization's alumni magazine and its advancement communications as the Foundation continues the public phase of its Called to Serve, Daring to Leadfundraising campaign.
The Senior Writer is a full-time professional reporting to the Director of Communications and serves as an integral member of a 10-member Communications team. The Senior Writer will also collaborate extensively with colleagues across the Alumni Association and Foundation's divisions, Naval Academy representatives and members of the Naval Academy alumni and friend community.
Major Roles and Responsibilities:
- Propose, develop, write and edit a wide variety of articles, brochures, reports, fundraising collateral and other content in support of the Alumni Association and Foundation's missions
- Serve as a senior editor for the organization's magazine Shipmate, published nine times annually with a circulation of more than 60,000
- Manage solicited and unsolicited submissions to the organization's magazine and other channels, including a number of regular freelance writers
- Support organization programs and events as needed
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Three or more years of relevant, full-time experience in journalism, alumni magazines, non-profits and/or higher education preferred
- A robust and wide-ranging portfolio of published/public work across a variety of genres
- Sound editorial judgment, initiative and problem-solving ability
- Strong time-management and organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects in a deadline-driven, highly detail-oriented environment.
- Appreciation for teamwork and demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively in planning and executing projects.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and capacity to learn systems unique to the organization
- Enthusiasm for the Naval Academy and USNA Alumni Association and Foundation missions and a willingness to learn more about their distinctive histories
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in leading major projects and collaborating with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience with social media, photography, graphic design and/or video production preferred
- Experience using Blackbaud CRM donor software
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website via the link provided.