- Full Time
The mission of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is to improve the quality of people's lives through grants supporting the performing arts, environmental conservation, medical research and child well-being, and through preservation of the cultural and environmental legacy of Doris Duke's properties.
The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (DDCF) seeks an individual who can contribute enthusiasm, creative talent, technological savvy and organizational skill to the role of Communications Assistant. This person will help advance DDCF’s strategic communications goals by providing editorial, website, social media, public relations and administrative support to the Communications Director. Working independently and under the direction of the Communications Director, the Communications Assistant will be responsible for media monitoring; creating, updating and refining portions of the foundation’s website; collaborating with colleagues to develop media releases; and assisting with the management of social media. This person will also assist with public relations projects, communications to grantees and vendors, and general administrative office tasks. In addition to working with the Communications Director, the Communications Assistant will collaborate with the Executive Assistant to the President and Board Liaison as well as other foundation colleagues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Initiate first drafts of press releases and other communications materials.
• Assist in the development of new editorial content for the foundation’s website, which may require conducting and transcribing interviews, performing research, writing and/or copyediting.
• Update the foundation’s website by uploading and publishing content through the site’s content management system.
• Provide project management support for the redesign of the foundation’s website.
• Proofread communications and ensure their adherence to the foundation’s in-house style guide.
• Monitor media coverage related to the foundation and its grantees through use of the foundation’s media monitoring tools; and generate monthly reports of media activity.
• Manage and update multiple media contact lists and distribute press releases through the foundation’s online media distribution tool.
• Assist with monitoring and managing the foundation’s social media presence.
• Assist in answering requests from the media and grantees by providing logos, images, press releases and additional information as required.
• Resize and edit images using Photoshop; manage and maintain the image library and all Communications Department files, both paper and electronic.
• Work with grantees and foundation partners to coordinate media announcements.
• Process invoices and expense reports.
• Provide general administrative support to the Communications Director, including maintaining spreadsheets and calendars, creating reports and taking meeting notes.
• An undergraduate degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or Marketing, or demonstrated commensurate experience.
• Proven writing, editing and proofreading skills, including impeccable grammar.
• Familiarity with style guides, such as AP Stylebook or The Chicago Manual of Style, among others.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills, including attention to detail.
• Strong computer and Internet skills, including experience with using—or the ability and desire to quickly learn how to use—online content management systems.
• Ability to operate general office equipment and to provide administrative assistance.
• Good judgment to solve problems and make decisions independently.
• Adaptability, with the ability to manage many projects and priorities simultaneously.
• Ability to work cooperatively, enthusiastically and positively with other employees.
• An ability to understand, appreciate and communicate the philanthropic mission of the foundation as well as the strategies and goals of its programs.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume with a personalized cover letter and writing and/or editing samples to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your last name followed by "Communications Assistant" in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated in its work and on its staff. We encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.