General Sales Manager I (Cox Media Inc. - Division of Cox Communications)
- Full Time
Role Summary The General Sales Manager I —Cox Media Inc. manages the advertising sales function for Cox Media to drive revenue and increase market share. Develops and implements strategic plans to guide the sales departments to successfully attain revenue goals. Leads, develops and manages the local, national, and new media sales staffs, and potentially inventory. The position works in an office setting, leading a budget driven, sales organization. Must quickly establish and leverage market knowledge and networking to drive revenue and enhance the image and recognition of Cox Media in the marketplace. Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Maximizes revenue from all revenue categories including local, national and regional spot, new media, program time sales, production, retail development and promotions.
- Manages inventory and pricing to maximize revenue of all advertising products.
- Manages account lists and sales channels to maximize sales resources against market potential.
- Facilitates positive and productive relationships with other Cox Media departments.
- Accurately budgets and forecasts revenue goals by source.
- Recruits, selects, develops, and manages performance of Local Sales Managers and National Sales Managers.
- Coaches, develops, and motivates sales leaders to optimize revenue potential across all revenue streams and channels, manage their staffs, and develop the talent on their teams.
- Manages direct reports’ performance to budget and other performance standards including sustainability of sales methods on a monthly basis.
- Recommends compensation for entire sales team based on Company standards and pay-for-performance philosophy.
- Sets and communicates inventory, sales and packaging strategies and direction to sales team.
- Creates and develops new revenue streams to diversify the business.
- Develops and implements sales processes to provide for smooth and timely workflow throughout the sales department and interfaces with the Centralized Fulfillment Center (CFC).
- Ensures that sales tools and resources are properly aligned with client potential.
- Obtains, tracks, and reviews metrics to identify sales opportunities and create sales strategy.
- Gathers competitive knowledge and develops ways to effectively sell against competitors.
- Maintains regular contact with key accounts and national sales channel.
- 10 years experience in related field
- 5 years business-to-business field sales experience with quotas
- 3 years electronic media sales management experience
- Working knowledge of Windows-based PCs, Microsoft Office
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record, reliable transportation
- Excellent skills in learning continuously, building partnerships, high impact communication, formal presentations, PC skills, written communication, devising sales approaches and solutions, demonstrating business acumen, making sales operating decisions, motivating the sales organization, sales opportunity analysis, championing adaptability, and setting unit goals, in order to work effectively with teams throughout organization.
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (i.e. Marketing, Communications, Advertising, Public Relations, Business Management)
- 3 years successful experience in management demonstrating progressive leadership responsibilities
- 5 years electronic media sales management experience
- Knowledge of local media market and local contacts
- Knowledge and/or experience in business marketing
- Experience in telecommunications industry desired
About Cox CommunicationsCox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique. Cox Communications is the largest division of Cox Enterprises, a family-owned business founded in 1898 by Governor James M. Cox.Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.