Technical Operations Project Manager
Location: New York, New York
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Represents Studio / Technical Operations stakeholders in maintaining ownership of control room / production operations orchestration and control solutions, production automation, and operational toolsets; contributes to roadmaps and gathers feedback for ongoing product evolution. Identifies and partners with subject matter experts, project leads, production engineering, news/entertainment clients and vendors to document business needs and define operational requirements.Assists in both evolving / advancing existing production solutions as well as identifying and deploying new solutions, translating functional operator needs into revised operational workflows as well as hardware and software requirements.Liaises with clients and partners to gather relevant information, feedback and data for purposes of understanding existing workflows, conducting operational analysis, and initiating feasibility studies. Creates project management materials, presentations and executive-level summary documentation for senior leadership.Assists in creating, tracking, organizing and managing documentation in accordance with project management and operational initiatives.Contributes to project scope, strategy and planning meetings.Identifies strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats associated with projects and initiatives.
The Rock Center Technical Operations group is responsible for supporting an array of television and production services across NBCUniversal, from running day-to-day Entertainment & News production operations, to long-term strategy development and capital planning. The team partners with businesses across NBCU to drive production, manage varying technology and operational initiatives, and help define, meet, and maintain business goals to serve our clients’ needs.
As a member of the Production Strategy & Project Management team, the Technical Operations Project Manager will support a wide variety of projects and initiatives supporting NBCUniversal Studios and Control rooms. The ideal candidate has an understanding of live video production, a deep understanding and passion for technology, and the aptitude to take on a wide variety of disciplines within our portfolio. While focused on driving production technology initiatives and developing a roadmap of emerging and software-defined video workflow tools, this individual will also contribute to project support in the realm of control room builds, facility and studio set buildouts, and an array of production operations support needs aligned with our long-term business strategy. The role will work across a matrixed environment to help develop, define, identify and govern new and evolving operational toolsets, equipment and systems used to support and execute live on-air television programming and digital production in NBCU’s control rooms and production environments.
Not limited to the below, the Technical Operations Project Manager:
• 5+ years in television or film industry, preferably in a production operations or technology support role
• Experience in live and remote studio television production, studio & control room environments or equivalent knowledge and experience of live production video and technology trends
• Able to build and present PowerPoint presentations to effectively communicate in a concise and clear manner for varied audiences and senior leadership; proficiency in MS Excel and MS Project
• Top-tier business acumen with exceptional analytical, organization, research, technical and presentation skills; keen understanding of financials and ability to adapt approach to align with business needs
• Ability to lead and present program information in face-to-face presentations to varied audiences including executive management
• Self-starter, able to work both autonomously and collaborate / communicate effectively under tight deadlines across varied audiences and personalities in a high-pressure 24x7 environment
• Team-player, willing to work nights/weekends as-needed to fulfill project needs; ability to pivot quickly and re-balance priorities to meet business challenges and client requests
• Flexible, inquisitive approach to problem solving, able to adapt style to communicate to a wide range stakeholders and understand / translate feedback to define operational needs
• Degree in television production or relevant technology/engineering/IT systems/Computer Science and/or equivalent experience
• Understanding or experience of complex technology and IT trends, IP video production, SDVN, cloud migration, virtualization with ability to distill complex information into illustrative/narrative form
• Experience with workflows, products and toolsets including Evertz Magnum, VUE, and EXE routers, Sony production switchers, cameras and RCPs, VIZrt, Calrec audio consoles, Ross graphics, playback and automation systems
• Degree or experience with UI / UX design, system architecture, computer science, technical operations, production engineering, broadcast systems, software development, programming or similar / parallel discipline
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.