Director, Web Integrity Project
- Full Time
The Sunlight Foundation seeks a new Director of its Web Integrity Project, a key investigative initiative that monitors government websites and reveals shifts in public information and public policy.
The Sunlight Foundation
The Sunlight Foundation is a national, nonpartisan, non-profit organization that uses civic technologies, open data, policy analysis, and journalism to make our government and politics more accountable and transparent to all.
The Sunlight Foundation believes that information is power–or, to put it more finely, that disproportionate access to information is power. It is committed to improving public access to public information by making it available to the public, online. Its overarching goal is to achieve changes in the law to require real-time, online transparency for all government information.
The Web Integrity Project
Today the Sunlight Foundation seeks a new Director of its Web Integrity Project. WIP facilitates public awareness by actively monitoring changes to government websites, holding the government accountable by revealing shifts in public information and access to Web resources as well as changes in stated policies and priorities. WIP’s monitoring work is amplified by working with journalists who cover WIP’s findings and the production of policy analyses to evaluate and recommend changes to Web governance practices and help ensure access to valuable Web resources. WIP has worked extensively to report on removals of public information from health and healthcare websites, with early work on immigration-related websites and plans to expand into other topic-matter areas.
The Director Opportunity
The Web Integrity Project’s new Director will report directly to Sunlight’s Executive Director and will transition into the role after training in WIP’s core technical and investigative functions over a period of time, working closely with WIP’s founders and team of directors.
The Director will be responsible for stewarding WIP’s mission, managing the work of WIP’s 3-5 full-time staff, and leading WIP’s communication with journalists, partners, members of Congress, federal agencies, and funders. Core roles and responsibilities include:
- Leading WIP’s staff, including the Director of Research, the Senior Investigator, and one or more Website Monitoring Analysts, in WIP’s core functions.
- Building new partnerships with journalists and advocacy groups to better understand and disseminate WIP’s findings.
- Leading WIP’s Web governance policy portfolio, including drafting analyses, communicating with federal agencies, and engaging members of Congress and their staff about WIP’s work (please see the full job description for more details).
- Working with Sunlight’s leadership to fundraise for new and expanded programming.
- Developing a strategy for how WIP’s monitoring and investigations can expand into new topic-areas and implement new methodologies.
- Leading public communications about WIP’s work, including writing op-eds and blog posts, and speaking at events and conferences, to create public awareness and explain particularly significant findings.
Candidates with strong research, policy, or investigative experience and demonstrated project management skills should submit the following documents via our online application portal.
- A cover letter.
- A separate submission briefly addressing these prompts: 1) describe a time you used a new means of investigation that you hadn’t in the past to write a story or conduct an analysis (use of a FOIA request, new data analysis method or software tool you developed, etc.) and 2) describe a time that you synthesized a policy analysis for a public or private audience, from new research you did as part of a team — either you led or were a part of.
- Sample(s) of a significant research, policy, or journalistic product you produced as a team lead, with a brief description of the team (feel free to include additional samples for which you are the sole author or one of multiple authors).