Copy Editor, HLN
- Full Time
HLN is an integral part of CNN Worldwide, the network features live coverage of national, regional, lifestyle, and entertainment news in a fast-paced approachable. HLN is best known for news by day and mystery by night, featuring stories that make us think more, feel more, want more, we are HLN.
The Copy Editor provides final detailed edit of copy and informational graphics for factual accuracy, sourcing, balance, libel, tone, context, grammar/spelling/style for HLN Weekend Express scripts.
- The copy editor needs to be able to align their writing and editing to be in the voice of the talent.
- The right candidate can multi-task, switch gears easily and help develop writers into the style of the show.
- The candidate should aim to make each story feel big, highlighting the "wow" lead and conversational style of our talent/scripts.
- The Copy Editor also ensures that text is up-to-date, that it complies with any CNN guidance/standards, and that story elements work together as a cohesive whole.
- The Copy Editor edits story text, headlines, banners and social media content.
- S/he works with content editors and writers to improve stories, and uses various newsroom tools for digital production purposes.
- At times, the Copy Editor may also be asked to write stories by assignment editors or other supervisors.
- Control room experience preferred.
*** Must be able to work early morning/overnight hours***
- 5 years full time news writing or editing experience required.
- Ability to handle breaking news under heavy deadline pressure.
- Proven understanding of U.S. domestic and International issues.
- Must have newspaper, wire service or online copy editing background.
- Broadcasting or multimedia experience is a plus.
- Ease of use with computer applications necessary.
- Demonstrated editing skills (checking language, accuracy, balance, sensitivity).
- Able to lead and work effectively with a team of writers and content editors.
- Effective speed to keep up with demanding workload.
- Demonstrated flexibility to deal with rapid changes in news, adapt to breaking news, handle several tasks at once.
- Positive, collaborative attitude (eager, energetic, team-oriented).
- Four-year college degree or equivalent experience.
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to wellbeing tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.