Manager of Local Media Outreach
2 days left
- Full Time
SciLine is a free, philanthropically funded, independent service hosted by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and based in Washington, DC. SciLine connects reporters to scientists on deadline and offers other tools and resources to provide reporters with the best and most recent methodically derived evidence for stories about science, health, and the environment.
The SciLine team has an exciting new opportunity for a Manager of Local Media Outreach. Reporting to the Director, you will work closely with the Associate Director for News and Operations and others on the SciLine staff to identify science-related news stories of potential interest primarily to local and general assignment reporters in small and medium media-market communities and create and package explanatory materials to help relevant reporters cover those stories in ways meaningful to their local audiences.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with SciLine’s Associate Director for News and Operations, and in consultation with the Associate Director for Science, to develop, pilot, and implement a new, locally focused science news pitching service
- Scan embargoed and published research reports to identify new findings or emerging science-related trends, with an eye towards newsworthiness
- Identify individual reporters, publications, and/or localities for which identified research or research trends may be particularly relevant
- Create written and other materials that clarify the importance, scientific context, and local relevance of the identified potential news stories, along with customized expert source information and other metadata/materials that would help local or general assignment reporters with print or broadcast platforms understand and cover that news for a local audience
- Maintain relationships with relevant editors and/or public information officers at scientific publishers and other sources of newsworthy science information to facilitate access to emerging news stories and trends, and to ensure compliance with journal embargos and other dissemination policies as necessary
- Research and implement improved outreach methods over time and develop metrics to track pitching program efficacy
- Additional duties as assigned, including sharing responsibilities with other staffers in planning and producing SciLine’s full range of science/journalism-related products and events
- Master’s degree in a scientific discipline or journalism preferred; television experience highly valued
- Minimum 7 years professional experience in science-related journalism (including health or environment reporting), or communications (including public affairs or media relations) with excellent ability to read, digest, and quickly extract meaning from scientific and technical papers
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills
- Excellent online research skills
- Excellent news judgment and enthusiasm about the role of evidence in journalism
- Good marketing instincts and design skills
- Ability to work independently, but appreciative of collaborative inputs
- Undaunted and even excited by the challenge of growing a startup from the bottom up
CLICK HERE to submit a resume, cover letter, and a sample of communications materials developed in the past by March 28, 2019. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.