Editor in Chief
- Full Time
SourceMedia is a New York City-based business information, media and events company serving the financial, technology and healthcare industries. We inform and connect communities of professionals and marketers, and enable their growth and success, by uncovering powerful ideas and their business implications, setting standards, and tracking progress to those standards. Offerings include paid-subscription content, conferences and events, and specialized marketing services. Brands include American Banker, National Mortgage News, The Bond Buyer, Financial Planning, and Accounting Today.
The company has completed a transition to digital and data-driven business models, building on the foundation of its deep market knowledge, industry-leading brands, and qualified, engaged audiences. Its mission today is to expand, extend and deepen its customer relationships, developing communities of marketers and business professionals whose members we engage across a broader range of business needs with a progressively more valuable array of interconnected offerings.
SourceMedia’s focus is on its members and customers – a strong understanding of what they care about and need to succeed, and a deep knowledge of their markets. We value excellence in the products and services we deliver, and collaboration and agility in all aspects of our operations. We support the individual growth of all team members.
The Editor in Chief (EIC) of National Mortgage News (NMN) is among the company’s senior editorial roles. Reporting to the Group Editorial Director, Banking & Capital Markets, the EIC is responsible for all content published under the NMN brand – including textual content, rich and social media content, and more – whether staff-created, aggregated or contributed. The EIC must be or quickly become an authority on all aspects of the mortgage industry: bank and nonbank origination and servicing; funding, secondary market activity and securitization; mortgage technology; and housing finance policy.
Leveraging this knowledge, the EIC will be or must quickly become the brand’s internal and external ambassador, a source of market knowledge and insight to colleagues across the company – whether in subscription sales, marketing solutions, or conferences and events – as well as to the brand’s external constituencies. In addition to ensuring that all of the brand’s content is delivered to the company’s standards, the EIC is responsible for ensuring that the brand’s editorial and content development activities are aligned with its business strategy.
- Lead National Mortgage News to hold a dominant position as a source of business information for an engaged community of mortgage industry professionals.
- Define and articulate the brand’s content strategy, in partnership with the company’s content and commercial leadership, including audience, KPI goals, publishing calendar, ancillary products and more.
- Expand, and increase the engagement of, the community of mortgage professionals by leveraging a full range of editorial and publishing capabilities, and by partnering with SourceMedia’s Audience Development team.
- Ensure consistent quality of the brand’s content, emphasizing relevance, authority, immediacy and exclusivity to the community.
- Ensure that content for each of the brand’s touch-points (e.g., website, email newsletters, social media, print magazine, video, podcast) is consistently produced on schedule, at high level of quality and in alignment with the company’s overall content standards (including visual and display components in collaboration with the creative services team).
- Partner closely with SourceMedia’s Conferences group, providing insight and ideas for events and event speakers and agendas, and become the leading voice at the company’s mortgage events.
- Partner with colleagues at other SourceMedia brands and in other functional teams to share content, collaborate on specified projects and explore synergies.
- Provide effective and supportive management of direct reports, to enhance their subject matter expertise, capabilities, productivity and career growth.
- Lead development of story ideas and content agenda in collaboration with direct reports.
- Assign story and other content ideas to staff members and actively coach them on reporting and writing, in particular by ensuring their work achieves its stated goals before publication (clear focus, excellent production values, strong headlines, appropriate sourcing, strong supporting assets).
- Identify, assign stories to and manage freelancers as appropriate, including the execution of agreements and administrative requirements related to expenses/invoicing.
- As an authoritative and influential industry voice, and as brand ambassador, contribute content of all types under your own byline; embrace speaking opportunities and media appearances; and interact directly with community members.
- Manage freelance and T&E expenses according to budget, coordinating with and reporting to Editorial Director on regular basis. Plan industry coverage requiring travel, assign editors for that travel, and approve plans in accord with budget.
- Assist Sales and Marketing departments on positioning the brand, articulating its mission, assembling calendars, and other requirements as needed.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of five to ten years’ experience in business journalism or research, including some or all of the following:
- Knowledge of mortgages, consumer finance or banking
- Editorial team and/or brand leadership
- Research team leadership
- The ideal candidate will bring:
- An ability to foster and participate in a collaborative working environment, including strong listening and communication skills
- An ability to think strategically, delegate responsibility, build consensus and communicate and advocate effectively in a matrix organization
- An ability to work independently, including a track record of initiative, problem solving, and adaptability
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Integrity, honesty and a sense of humor
SourceMedia offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
For consideration, please send your cover letter and resume.
SourceMedia complies with all federal, state, and local laws that prohibit discrimination because of age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, arrest records, unemployment status or any other protected category.