- Full Time
Ad Age is seeking a dynamic, self-starting scoops-obsessed reporter to break news and spot trends on our high-profile agency beat, where armies of creative, digital and communications specialists are battling to connect brands with consumers.
This is an era where “disruption” is a byword: The old ways of doing things are breaking down and agencies (big and small) are trying to reorient themselves for a consumer- and demand-centric world. This reporter will cover the light-speed evolution of marketing, media and communications. He or she will focus on the ad agencies reshaping the way marketers and consumers interact, developing sources and telling high-impact stories about lumbering holding companies, innovative digital shops, fast-growing social media agencies, award-winning creative shops and other companies trying to muscle into agency territory. It is a competitive beat covering big personalities and big budgets, and it produces some of our best-read stories. Experience covering technology, marketing or media is a must. An ability to read a balance sheet, SEC filing and court documents also of paramount importance.
* Shape, define and lead our coverage of agency news. This is arguably the highest-profile reporting job in a magazine with “advertising” in its name
* Beyond strategy, execute by writing quick daily news hits and write our weekly “Agency Brief” column
* Pitch, report and develop enterprise stories vital to the agency business and agency culture, whether it’s about the encroachment of the consultancies, the #MeToo moment, the talent crunch, competing with the duopoly.
* Help the video team create compelling and newsworthy quick video hits
* Travel for key industry events (the 4A’s, Cannes, etc)
* Help program Ad Age events that fall under the agency beat — and be willing to appear on stage at them.
* Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or similar field
* 3+ years of newsroom experience at a nationally-recognized publication
* Experience covering advertising and marketing
* A keen understanding of the forces affecting the advertising industry today
* Ability to produce clean copy and do basic editing
* Effective written and verbal skills
* Must be familiar with current social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others
* Should be comfortable with using web-based content management systems for publishing online
* Someone with a built-in agency Rolodex who can hit the ground running with sources
* A team player who works well in a collaborative environment
* An established social media presence
* Comfortable on stage or in front of a camera
Ad Age is a daily must-read for an influential audience of decision makers and disruptors across the marketing and media landscape.
Created in 1930 to cover a burgeoning industry with objectivity, accuracy, and fairness, Ad Age continues to be powered by award-winning journalism. Today, Ad Age is a global media brand focusing on curated creativity, data and analysis, people and culture, and innovation and forecasting.
From vital print editions to must-attend events and innovative platform offerings, its industry-leading offerings include the coveted A-List & Creativity Awards, the Ad Age Next Conference, and proprietary data such as the Leading National Advertisers Report from the Ad Age Datacenter.
Click HERE to visit us in our New York office.
Crain Communications has been at the forefront of the publishing industry for more than a century. Combining information with innovation, Crain delivers the story you can’t get anywhere else. As a privately held company, we maintain a personal responsibility for elevating our work to be the best it can be. Every editor, reporter and correspondent at Crain shares the responsibility of ensuring the editorial independence and importance of our work. With an Audience First focus and uncompromising integrity, we strive to make a real impact for the individuals and industries we serve. While other media companies report the news, Crain gives it meaning. We add context to content, infuse information with insights, and initiate connections as well as conversations.
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, profit sharing, and a friendly work environment. This is a great time to join our organization -- a profitable, well established publishing leader.
Yes. Travel for key industry events (the 4A’s, Cannes, etc)