Director of Development and Partnerships
- Full Time
Director, Development and Partnerships
An award-winning live event, national radio show, television show, podcast and thriving digital brand, the Intelligence Squared U.S. debate series seeks a Director of Development and Partnerships to drive fundraising campaigns across a portfolio of corporations, media entities, foundations, intellectual forums and individual donors. The energetic candidate must know the product and must serve as a powerful advocate for its mission. He/she must arrive at the organization ready to develop high-level partnerships and sponsorships that will drive an ambitious growth plan for the organization.
As the head of our development team, this individual must have a strong orientation for outcomes, build relationships quickly, and have a passion for bringing people into our work and expanding our growth. This position will work closely with the Chief Content Officer to support the vision, goals, and strategy for increasing and diversifying the corporate and foundation donor bases, as well as managing our portfolio across the board.
We are seeking a goal-oriented, self-directed and charismatic individual who enjoys meeting and rallying key stakeholders around the IQ2US mission. This individual must be able to organize, prioritize, and track a large volume of projects and tasks; possess exceptional attention to detail and a high bar for quality; must be able to work well across internal functional teams; and must be a critical thinker who displays sound judgment in prioritizing actions based on outcomes and data. The Director of Development and Partnerships must also demonstrate exceptional writing skills with a strong ability to adapt and adjust key messages in response to donor motivations and partnership priorities.
Support Rapid Development of the Intelligence Squared U.S. Partnership and Community Portfolio
- Cultivate and maintain excellent relationships with a portfolio of prospects, including corporate sponsorships, foundations, think tanks, thought-leadership events and high net worth donors.
- Support the Chief Content Officer in developing partnerships, managing annual giving campaigns, and prioritizing key actions in soliciting and stewarding donors through external meetings, events and correspondence, and preparing/supporting them to execute.
- Analyze the interests of prospects to develop compelling pitches (including verbal presentations, PowerPoint decks, and one-pagers), strategies, and tactical plans to achieve goals for different donor segments.
- Track and analyze progress in part by managing accurate and up-to-date records and data on donors and conducting analysis to identify what is driving and impeding progress.
- Conduct research into grant opportunities and oversee grant applications.
- Create consistent, high-quality communication materials (including written appeals, renewal notices, reports, proposals, and event invitations).
- Draft event agreements and manage the administrative functions of the partnership activation process.
- Conduct prospective donor and partner research to guide strategic fundraising agendas.
- Oversee the operational systems required to manage donor cultivation, stewardship, and research to ensure efficiency and effectiveness.
- Maintain meticulous records of donor engagement.
- Support all shared responsibilities, including scheduling, board meetings, receptions, dinners, etc.
Required Background & Skills
- Prior relevant work experience required with 5-7 years in business development, sales, sponsorship activation, and/or partnership cultivation
- Experience in supporting institutional giving (corporate, foundation, and/or government)
- Previous experience working in media and nonprofits preferred
- Previous experience in project/grants management strongly preferred
- Previous experience in administrative support or events planning strongly preferred
- Previous experience developing partnerships and structuring arrangements strongly preferred
- Exceptional writing, communication, and analytical skills
- Ability to manage time effectively, meet deadlines, and prioritize tasks
- Ability to think critically with a high level of organization and attention to detail
- Proficiency with CRM or donor databases such as E-Tapestry or Raiser’s Edge
- Knowledge of publishing and social media platforms in a professional setting
- Ability to communicate effectively with others while building relationships and networks
- Highest ethical standards and commitment to responsible stewardship
- Enthusiasm for working with diverse communities and stakeholders
Salary commensurate with experience
Full benefits including Medical and Dental
Convenient mid-town location