PRH Labs is an innovation incubator focused on growing physical book sales through established, emerging, and new channels. We work at a startup pace with internal and external partners to bring new business opportunities from prototype to pilot to scale. Our engineers build products and services that are designed well, developed fast, and provide value. We believe in prototypes before pilots, and pilots before integration. We value team autonomy and we hold each other accountable for quality.
The Software Engineer will report to the PRH Labs Associate Director of Technology and will work with a small product team within PRH in a dynamic, agile development environment.
Some responsibilities include:
* Incubate technologies that support business opportunities identified by company leadership
* Build, test, ship, and iterate these technology products during their launch and early lifecycle as they grow and scale, in an atmosphere that fosters creativity and innovation.
* Work closely with the team to execute on the timetables agreed in conjunction with partner teams inside and outside PRH.
* Will be involved in all technical aspects of development for the products, including infrastructure, services, and frontend development, working in collaboration with PRH systems and resources as well as outsourced technology and resources.
Strong technical knowledge and skills in areas including flexible infrastructure (e.g., AWS), RESTful APIs and service-based architecture, dev ops, and frontend development (web and mobile) are critical. The role involves working with the latest technologies, with a focus on automating tasks where possible and building tools as part of the frontend development workflow.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* 1 year experience working with web-based technologies
* Strong knowledge with modern web standards including HTML5, CSS3, and ES6+
* Familiarity designing and implementing RESTful APIs
* Working knowledge of object-oriented design
* Experience building products that are ADA/WCAG compliant
* Expertise in an agile software development methodology
The environment you’ll be working in
* React/Redux with redux-saga
* SCSS Modules
* CI/CD pipeline to production w/GitLab CI
* Test automation for unit, integration, and e2e
* Webpack & Babel
* Jest and Enzyme unit testsBertelsmann is a media, services and education company that operates in about 50 countries around the world. It includes the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House, the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr, the music company BMG, the service provider Arvato, the Bertelsmann Printing Group, the Bertelsmann Education Group, and Bertelsmann Investments, an international network of funds. The company has 117,000 employees and generated revenues of €17.1 billion in the 2015 financial year. Bertelsmann stands for creativity and entrepreneurship. This combination promotes first-class media content and innovative service solutions that inspire customers around the world