- Full Time
We are seeking an experienced Communications Lead to join our small, dynamic team in Washington, DC, and support our work on cutting-edge governance programs around the world. The successful candidate will work closely with the Global Integrity Anti-Corruption Evidence (GI-ACE) program team and support the implementation of a multi-faceted anti-corruption research and policy engagement program. In addition, she/he will work across all programs of Global Integrity (GI), developing and supporting the implementation of an effective communications strategy. The Communications lead will be responsible for creating, managing and communicating content and messaging, and for strengthening the communications skills and capacity of other team members.
Role and responsibilities
The Communications Lead will be based at the Open Gov Hub in Washington, DC and will report to the Director for Integrity and Anti-Corruption with an approximate time split of 80% dedicated to the GI-ACE program and 20% dedicated to overall GI communications work.
The role requires proven ability to understand complex and nuanced governance and anti-corruption concepts, and the interest and drive to communicate these concepts in clear and accessible language to a variety of audiences in effective ways, making use of multiple platforms and tools. The successful candidate has first-rate skills in prioritizing and spinning multiple plates, is an outstanding collaborator, and keen to learn with the entire team as well as partners around the world to create and leverage communication products that generate impact.
She/he enjoys setting up, monitoring, and updating content across multiple communication platforms, while also digging into papers and policy briefs to identify key takeaways, do thorough copy editing and basic layouting to design effective communication outputs. The successful candidate will have:
- Responsibility for GI-ACE communications work (80%); including managing and guiding communications work and supporting the creation of content and messaging across the program. This includes:
- thinking through, developing and implementing important communications and advocacy-focused aspects of the GI-ACE theory of change
- supporting the GI-ACE program team and its 14 worldwide partners (research teams based mainly in universities) in implementing and fine-tuning their communication strategies and outputs
- identifying relevant communication opportunities and creating, placing and communicating content and messages
- testing formats and platforms, tracking use and uptake of communication products, and reflecting with partners on the usefulness and impact of the GI-ACE program outputs.
- Shared responsibility for GI communications (20%); including by managing the organization’s communications work and supporting the creation of content and messages across the organization. This includes:
- developing and implementing a communications plan and providing leadership for special communication projects
- ensuring initiatives and projects are clearly communicated to key audiences
- managing and updating content across platforms (website, email) and social media channels on an ongoing basis
- supporting the team in enhancing their communication skills by helping to write/ edit blogs and publications and by providing feedback and guidance.
The ideal candidate
The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, with solid writing, editing and proofreading skills, and experience in managing a variety of communications platforms using multiple formats such as podcasts, blogs, social media, video and traditional media.
She/he has a strong interest in making communication products more effective by strengthening the link between communications products and policy engagement strategies and by adapting to meet the expectations of key audiences. She/he is open to feedback while also having the patience to help other team members develop their skills. The following factors will strengthen an applicant’s candidacy:
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Deep understanding of the media and communications landscape with a track record in generating and copy-editing communication products used in policy relevant research, i.e. advocacy products, policy briefs, infographics etc.
- Proficiency in communications product design, including layout, graphics and formal/legal requirements
- Experience in managing and updating content across media platforms, including traditional and social media outlets
- Fluency in English is required, proficiencies in other languages (French, Spanish) is an asset
- Self-starter, who is happy to provide a first draft quickly and to iterate multiple times to perfect a particular communications piece on time
- Technologically savvy and/or unafraid to dive into new processes and systems to test and experiment, focused on results in a fast-moving, hands-on environment
- Sound judgment to drive communications initiatives, with excellent skills in stakeholder management, networking, and relationship building
- Ability to spin multiple plates
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to Global Integrity’s mission
- At least 5 years of writing and communications management experience, with a track record in producing concise and accessible communication products
- Knowledge of governance and anti-corruption concepts and background in reading and summarizing academic publications
- Relevant Bachelor's degree required; relevant advanced degree preferred
- Right to work in the United States
About Global Integrity
Global Integrity’s vision is of a world in which people and organizations, in countries and communities across the globe, work together to improve governance, and solve complex social problems.
We support local partners - governments, civil society organizations and researchers - as they craft, implement and refine solutions to the complex problems they face. We then use the insights and evidence that emerge from our innovative work with local partners to engage with multilateral and bilateral development agencies, and other external actors, as we encourage them to operate in ways that prioritize the locally-led innovation, learning, and adaptation that is key to solving governance-related problems. We put this approach into practice across our work on integrity and anti-corruption, fiscal governance, and multi-stakeholder initiatives, as well as through our stewardship of at the Open Gov Hub.
About the GI-ACE program
Global Integrity has recently begun implementing phase two of the DFID-funded Anti-Corruption Evidence (ACE) Program, a sister program to the anti-corruption research program led by SOAS at the University of London. The overarching objective of the GI-ACE program is to support world-class multi-disciplinary research that informs the development of more effective policies and interventions to help reduce corruption in developing countries and address its negative impact on people’s lives. GI-ACE is designed to produce operationally relevant evidence on tackling corruption, with a focus on ensuring that the research outputs address practitioners’ needs to support more effective, evidence-based anti-corruption initiatives.
Compensation and benefits
Global Integrity offers competitive compensation based on experience, skills and fit for the role. The salary for this role is expected to be between $75k and $90k depending on education, skills and experience. In addition, Global Integrity provides all full time employees with a comprehensive and very generous benefits package, including high-quality health, dental and vision policies, as well as a modest life insurance policy. GI currently pays 100% of the premiums associated with those benefits. Generous holiday and sick time are also provided. The organization also contributes to employees’ retirement accounts and provides for a transit benefit.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter detailing relevant skills and experience, a publication list, three writing samples, and a resume via the link provided. Applicants that do not use the airtable form will not be entered into our candidate tracking system and will not be reviewed.
Applications from candidates who would strengthen our diversity and bring additional perspectives to the team are particularly encouraged.
Deadline for application: open until filled.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.