- Full Time
Arizona State University
Journalism and Mass Communications
Campus: Downtown Phoenix
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and Arizona PBS at Arizona State University are seeking a Director of Communications to lead the school’s communications, branding and marketing efforts.
The director is responsible for a team of professionals who plan, develop and produce digital, print and broadcast strategic initiatives that touch on every aspect of the school, from recruitment and event promotion to programming and development. The director works with senior leadership to set strategic goals, manage workflow, and ensure the quality, consistency and effectiveness of all external and internal communications for the school and Arizona PBS.
Depending on experience
- Oversight of websites supporting Cronkite and Arizona PBS
- Oversight of marketing to ensure a unified visual messaging of the school and Arizona PBS
- Oversight of social media communication to engage audiences through creative storytelling and strategic content
- Development and implementation of high-level digital marketing content and campaigns across search, social and email
- Creation and production of the annual Cronkite Journal magazine and monthly Arizona PBS magazine
- Writing, editing and distribution of press releases, brochures and marketing materials that tell the stories of programs, students and faculty
- Production and placement of advertisements
- Development and maintenance of external media relations and public relations
- Development and maintenance of relationships with university, local, regional, and national communities to promote the mission and goals of the school
Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, Arts Administration, or related field AND eight years experience in planning and implementing a comprehensive communication/marketing program for an organization, including five years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in leading and managing others in a creative environment
- Experience in skills writing and editing for public audiences
- Experience developing and executing strategic communications or marketing initiatives
- Experience developing collateral, including visuals, for print, digital and/or broadcast platforms
- Experience developing or overseeing digital marketing strategies
- Experience developing or overseeing social media strategies
- Experience in leading the creative process and manage projects from start to finish
- Experience in problem solving taking initiative to effectively manage complex and sometimes competing situations and set priorities while being flexible
- Experience in work that requires attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
- Evidence of an entrepreneurial and proactive approach to problem solving
- Experience in mentoring and developing skills in others
- Evidence in having interpersonal skills and effective communication skills in person and in writing
- Experience in representing the organization well
- Our office is located at 555 North Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Communicate to perform essential functions
- Use standard office equipment including, but not limited to computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals
About the Cronkite School
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication is one of the nation’s premier professional journalism programs and is home to Arizona PBS, the largest media outlet operated by a journalism school in the world. The school’s mission to is to prepare the next generation of journalists and communications professionals while also taking responsibility for the fundamental news and information needs of the community. The school is located on ASU’s Downtown Phoenix Campus in the heart of the nation’s 11th largest media market.
About Arizona PBS
Arizona PBS, which is part of the Cronkite School, is one of the country’s largest public television stations, reaching 1.9 million households each week on four digital channels and a website. The station has focused on fostering lifelong learning through quality programming, in-depth news and public affairs and critical educational outreach services.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
Arizona State University is committed to providing safety and security resources and information for our students, faculty, staff, and visitors. In accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), ASU publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, which includes safety and security policies and procedures, crime and fire prevention information, crime and fire statistics, and numerous resources for current and prospective students and employees. To access the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report online, visit https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. A hard copy of this report may be obtained, free of charge, by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456 or by visiting the ASU Police Department at 325 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe, Arizona, during business hours (M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00 PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Materials must include: 1) a resume, 2) cover letter stating your interest in the position 3) web-based samples of work created or produced, and 4) names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of three professional references.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position. Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ click "External Applicant" under Jobs at ASU, enter Req Id# 49867BR