Associate I, Communications
- Full Time
The Pew Charitable Trusts uses data to make a difference. For more than 70 years, we have focused on serving the public, invigorating civic life, conducting nonpartisan research, advancing effective public policies and practices, and achieving tangible results. Through rigorous inquiry and knowledge sharing, we inform and engage public-spirited citizens and organizations, linking diverse interests to pursue common cause. We are a dedicated team of researchers, communicators, advocates, subject matter experts, and professionals working on today's big challenges – and we know we are more effective and creative collectively than we are individually. With Philadelphia as our home town and the majority of our staff located in Washington, DC, our U.S. and international staff find working at Pew personally and professionally rewarding.
Wise stewardship of resources allows Pew employees to pursue work that strategically furthers our philanthropic mission in significant and measurable ways. We collaborate with a diverse range of philanthropic partners, public and private organizations, and concerned citizens who share our interest in fact-based solutions and goal-driven investments to improve society. Pew attracts top talent, people of integrity who are service-oriented and willing to take on challenging assignments. We provide competitive pay and benefits, a healthy work-life balance, and a respectful and inclusive workplace. Pew employees are proud of their colleagues, proud of where they work, and proud of the institution's reputation.
The Communications department supports leaders at all levels of the institution to promote project and campaign efforts, inform key audiences, and protect and advance Pew's reputation. The department provides a comprehensive range of communications services for all programmatic and administrative units and Trusts-operated projects. Our in-house expertise includes: strategy and message development; editorial support; design and creative services; media event planning; digital and video production; and social media. The unit oversees all communications policies, guidelines, and processes in order to ensure production of the highest quality work and effectively steward Pew's resources.
This position, based in Pew's Washington, DC office, reports to the International Fisheries communications associate manager, and is a member of the Pew communications staff supporting the environment portfolio. The associate works primarily on implementing the communication strategies for international fisheries projects and effectively communicating Pew's work and messages. The position requires excellent interpersonal and organizational skills as well as proven writing and editing abilities. He/she is part of the team of communications professionals working on Pew's environment projects.
Provides communications and media relations support
- Drafts and updates website content and text for email and social media outreach.
- Drafts and distributes press releases, advisories, statements, letters to the editor, op-eds and other communications materials.
- Supports the development of key messaging and draft talking points for field project communications.
- Helps prepare spokespersons, coordinating internal training, and preparation for interviews.
- Actively monitors, tracks and circulates relevant media coverage. Uses tools within the Salesforce and Cision systems to develop media lists and monitor media clips, report releases and speaking engagements.
- Prepares media clip reports from key announcements, milestones and report releases.
- Drafts submissions to the Communications department weekly update and other items for internal reporting to the CEO and the Board of Directors; drafts and distributes regular reports on the status of communications products for project directors. Selects and submits key events for the Pew Communications planning calendar.
- Works with communications colleagues on the production process for online and print communications.
- Participates in communications and organizational strategic planning to ensure communications strategy is aligned with organizational goals and regularly informs teams of media outreach efforts and results.
- Serves as a primary back-up and assists communications project teams during absences.
- Contributes to and participates in division and communications department tasks as assigned, as well as broader Pew-wide projects and/or committees as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- A minimum of a year of experience in a nonprofit or public policy organization, including work in communications.
- Prior to commencing employment with Pew, candidates for this position who were registered to lobby in any jurisdiction must certify termination of previous registration(s) and provide copies of termination notices with said jurisdiction(s) to Pew.
- Understanding of media operations and news organizations and experience with media relations.
- Experience creating and maintaining media lists.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a team and independently.
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure.
- Good project management skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated political skills and judgment.
- Ability to thrive in a creative, fast-paced and highly professional corporate culture that emphasizes excellence, collegiality and teamwork.
Occasional travel to attend field projects, meetings and conferences.
We offer a competitive salary and benefit program, including: comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental, and vision coverage; financial security with life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using health savings and flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits to maintain a good balance.
The Pew Charitable Trusts is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/np4pdc3zjyt7t6v8