- Full Time
For nearly 30 years, the Tricycle Foundation has shared Buddhist teachings and practices with the general public, engaging the broader culture from a Buddhist perspective. Tricycle is the publisher of Tricycle: The Buddhist Review, an independent quarterly magazine, and daily content at tricycle.org. Tricycle also produces online courses, events, and more.
The mission of the Tricycle Foundation is to create forums for exploring contemporary and historic Buddhist activity, examine the impact of its new context in the democratic traditions of the West, and introduce fresh views and attainable methods for enlightened living to the culture at large. At the core of our mission is the alleviation of suffering that Buddhist teachings are meant to bring about.
The Tricycle Foundation is currently seeking a senior editor to help craft and execute its editorial strategy across multiple platforms, including the Tricycle Talks podcast, website, print magazine, and Buddhism for Beginners microsite. The ideal candidate will have deep interest in and knowledge of Buddhist philosophy and practice as well as the global Buddhist landscape.
The senior editor will not only work with contributors to produce content but also manage Tricycle’s editorial team and represent editorial in senior organizational meetings.
This position reports to the Editor & Publisher.
At Tricycle, you will:
- Drive day-to-day editorial workflow, organize editorial and pitch meetings, and maintain editorial quality across channels
- Cultivate new writers and maintain relationships with longtime contributors
- Produce and edit content for the website and magazine
- Manage an editorial team of four, including mentoring and training junior staff
- Manage special sections and issues, participating in the magazine production process as necessary
- Work closely with Editor & Publisher and other senior staff members to ensure collaboration among editorial and other teams
- Manage the editorial budget
- Assist with editorial strategy for the Buddhism for Beginners microsite
This position is for you if you have:
- 5+ years of editorial experience (nonprofit and small team management experience a plus)
- A keen eye for both detail-oriented work and big-picture strategy
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Existing relationships with freelance writers you’d want to work with
- Deep interest in and knowledge of Buddhist philosophy and practice as well as the global Buddhist landscape, with an understanding of what makes for a good story in this niche
- A desire to produce content that elucidates and often challenges prevailing cultural narratives and norms
To apply, send a resume and cover letter as well as your salary requirements to email@example.com with “Senior Editor” as the subject line. Please also include one writing clip, one link to longform articles you’ve edited, and one story idea you’d love to see in Tricycle.