IndieWire: Film Business Reporter
- Full Time
IndieWire: Film Business Reporter
IndieWire is seeking a dynamic film business reporter for its Los Angeles office. You care about good movies, can find the color in a spreadsheet, monitor the news cycle for angles on the biggest stories, and have a network of sources throughout the ecosystem (or, be willing to devote yourself to developing them). This position requires a fair amount of work outside normal business hours whether it’s covering a film festival, building sources, or attending events.
If you can debate your favorite auteurs with the same zeal you bring to explaining how Netflix has disrupted the film industry, you're on the right track. We’re the voice of creative independence, and you should have a working knowledge of what that means — how independent film and other content has evolved in tandem with the marketplace.
You should be hungry to break news and eager to jump on the stories that people will be talking about, with the ability to pitch and report stories that are original, sharp, and distinct. The successful candidate will be an ambitious and well-rounded journalist who can comfortably and efficiently juggle multiple editorial tasks in a breaking-news environment, and also expertly handle deeply reported enterprise pieces, features, and investigative stories.
Digital responsiveness is a must. You should be savvy with social media, and attentive to the various aspects of online publishing that make stories stand out. Public-facing responsibilities include occasional panel moderation and TV/radio appearances. More than anything, however, we need old-fashioned great story ideas. To that end, you should be a self-starter capable of developing strategies around exclusives while working with teams on both coasts. This isn’t a job based on press junkets and glossy features; it’s an opportunity to scrutinize the film industry with the best tools that journalism allows.
- Generate original story ideas and develop fresh angles and bounce pieces for the big stories of the day
- Take the lead on enterprise reporting, from interviewing sources to reporting in the field
- Develop and executive strategies for breaking news and exclusives
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to develop stories and share intel
- Cultivate sources and contacts on stories and areas of expertise
- Maintain an active presence on social media and regularly share and distribute news and information
- 5+ years of experience writing for a major news organization
- Strong ability to write news and feature stories
- Proven experience gathering and analyzing information about newsworthy events
- Ability to evaluate news leads and news tips to develop story ideas
- Fluency in social media and how to track developing stories in the film community
IndieWire is the leading digital brand devoted to curating, reporting, and celebrating the best in film, TV, and entertainment. Branded the “online heartbeat of the world’s independent film community” by Forbes and dubbed “best indie crossroads” by film critic Roger Ebert, IndieWire is a two-time winner of the Webby Award for best entertainment website. IndieWire launched in July 1996 and in January 2016 joined Penske Media Corporation’s portfolio of leading global media brands.
Penske Media Corporation (PMC) is a leading digital media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a monthly audience of more than 180 million and empowers more than 1 million global CEOs and business thought-leaders in markets that impact the world. Our dynamic events, data services, and rich content entertain and educate today’s fashion, retail, beauty, entertainment and lifestyle sectors. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 11 countries worldwide, Penske Media is the way global influencers are informed, connected, and inspired. To learn more about PMC and its iconic brands, visit www.pmc.com.