- Full Time
Job Overview/Summary: The Communications Manager will join a team that focuses on raising the visibility of the International Rescue Committee’s international programs, and turning public attention to the organization’s humanitarian aid in 40 countries. The manager must have a genuine interest and background in the humanitarian aid world and in public relations. S/he will support several ongoing or expanding outreach campaigns, as well as providing assistance on other media relations projects. This position will provide the opportunity to hone media relations and writing skills and support IRC efforts to generate coverage of its international work.
- Help generate media coverage for the IRC’s humanitarian aid work in its international programs (IPD) through assistance in proactive (including pitching) and reactive media – helping the team achieve Key Performance Indicators, annual and quarterly planning goals.
- Regularly update the IRC’s Cision media database and build targeted lists, for specific issues and geographies
- Research target outlets and markets for IRC stories & campaigns
- Conduct targeted research on IRC programs and international crises, as well as targeted and ongoing media monitoring
- Draft press releases and other communications material as required
- Provide general media outreach support during emergencies
- Using analytics tool, provide a regular cadence of updates on IRC media measurement and impact
- Lead development of news roundups, monitor communications inbox and maintain editorial calendar
- Assist in special IRC communications projects as they arise and as indicated by the Senior Comms Officer and/or Director of Global Communications
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 2 years previous experience working or interning for a media outlet or humanitarian aid agency.
- Exemplary drafting and research skills – ideally with a focus on humanitarian aid or international relations.
- Keen interest in and knowledge of mainstream media
- Familiarity with international/humanitarian issues
- Excellent oral communications skills – proficiency in foreign languages a plus
- Sharp, analytical, quick-thinking and proactive
- Must be able to commit to a full-time work schedule
Working Environment: Standard office work environment.