- Full Time
Managing Editor - Firehouse
The managing editor will focus primarily on the monthly print publication and its associated supplements, and special projects. The managing editor plays a critical role in overseeing content development and management responsibilities as well as day-to-day editing. This individual will coordinate with contributors and photographers on assignments and work closely with sales, graphics and production teams.
- Work closely with publication group to develop the editorial calendar and budget
- Coordinate with authors/contributors and photographers to maintain an efficient production schedule for monthly print issues, and special projects
- Utilize the internal content management system to create, organize and manage editorial content for digital and print platforms. This includes general editing, SEO, tagging, and scheduling content to appropriate newsletters.
- Work closely with the publication group to develop the editorial calendar and budget
- Oversee awards programs and surveys
- Work on long-term initiatives, including print and digital supplements and special projects
- Assist with social media initiatives, content development and posting
- Basic understanding of photography for use in print publications and on website
- Maintain contracts for authors and photographers
- Attend trade shows and industry-related press events on behalf of editorial team. Approximately 15-20 percent company travel.
- BA in Journalism, communications or related field
- 4 to 6 years of applicable professional experience
- Strong copyediting/proofreading skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent communication/organizational skills and a flexible team player
- Sound editorial judgment
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign), plus Word Office Suite
- Familiarity with public safety or the fire service a plus.
We offer a competitive compensation and complete benefits package. Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements in confidence.