Senior Editor, Visual Storytelling
- Full Time
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is looking for a creative and strategy-minded editor with a knack for creating engaging interactive and visually rich digital content. The Senior Editor, Visual Storytelling reports to the Editorial Director; works closely with our digital, multimedia, and social media teams; and directly manages a small team of content creators focused on reaching new audiences via videos, data visualizations, and graphics.
- Manages three editorial team content creators who tell stories through video, illustration, and graphics
- Conceptualizes data visualizations and collaborates with the digital, multimedia, and program teams to execute them
- Pitches shareable graphic, video, and animation story ideas and works with the social media, multimedia, and analytics teams to execute and assess performance
- Devises content packages (including social assets, editorial, and expert blogs) around big NRDC science and data reports releases with pieces that reach different target audiences
- Feeds influencer collaboration ideas inspired by NRDC research and work to the Communications partnerships team
- Collaborates with representatives from other members of the department to shape messaging and content strategies around state climate and clean air policy, energy efficiency, clean energy, climate health impacts, fossil fuels, safe drinking water, toxic chemicals, and infrastructure and stays abreast of NRDC work related to these designated issue areas
- Ensures all work is accurate, engaging, and adheres to NRDC messaging and policy positions
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or Communications
- At least 8 years of experience editing engaging digital editorial and/or branded content
- Skilled manager with experience overseeing content creators
- Experience conceptualizing and editing interactive stories and data visualizations for a digital media outlet
- Proven ability to work with script writers, video producers, and graphic designers to shape narratives
- Experience tailoring a brand’s or organization’s voice to connect with multiple audiences
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at one time and meet crucial deadlines
- Knowledge and/or passion for environmental issues
- Strong communication skills
- A collaborative, creative spirit
- Knack for pitching and developing content ideas in line with institutional priorities and campaign strategies
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit our career site and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.