Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Nature, the world’s most authoritative science journal, seeks a Subeditor: Team Leader to uphold the highest written standards and facilitate the production of its digital and print content.
Reporting to the Chief Subeditor, you will lead the team of subeditors responsible for processing the wide range of articles that make up Nature’s magazine content, focusing primarily on short-form content. You will also deputize for the Chief Subeditor when requested.
You will help to ensure that the journal’s magazine content is clear, accessible, consistent, accurate and of the highest quality; and will guide the copy so that it flows smoothly through the system.
You will have a proven track record in news or magazine subediting and production, and a good understanding of magazine production processes and tools. You will also have a strong appreciation of science and the scientific research community and excellent interpersonal skills that enable you to communicate across multiple teams. You will be adept at sharp, accurate writing, and comfortable working to tight and continuous deadlines.
Above all else you will be committed to producing outstanding, world leading research, news, service journalism and commentary for an international audience of researchers and science stakeholders, on all of Nature‘s publishing platforms.
This position is based in our New York office. To apply, please submit a CV and a brief cover letter outlining your suitability for this position.
Deadline for applications: March 1st 2019
Please see below for a break-down of responsibilities:
- Subedit material accepted or written for publication by Nature as directed by the Chief Subeditor
- Ensure text is in good English and conforms to house style
- Ensure display items are correct and consistent with the text
- Ensure that material is subbed within production deadlines
- Take responsibility for managing copy flow and lateral interactions as directed by the Chief Subeditor
- Correct proofs, artwork and pages during the production process, to ensure that the pages are finished to the appropriate standard for output
- Take responsibility for ensuring key parts of the workflow meet their deadlines and mange this process proactively
- Deputize for the Chief Subeditor when requested
- Line manage team of subeditors primarily working on short-form content for Nature
- Help to mentor and train the subediting team
- Assist with recruitment of new team members
Writing - Write headlines and captions for Nature material as required
Maintenance of standards - Advise Nature editors on matters of house style and use of English
Website - Ensure that Nature material is correctly and appropriately displayed on Nature’s website
Projects - To undertake and oversee additional projects with the team (for example, maintenance of the Style Guide)
Core experience, skills and qualifications:
- Degree in a scientific discipline is preferred
- Good literacy skills
- Demonstrable ability to proofread text and artwork
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, tact, diplomacy, discretion
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of word-processing — in particular Adobe InDesign — and other relevant IT skills. Ability to work in a team
- Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks
- Strong time management
- Broad interest in and understanding of science
- Ability to cope under pressure
- Tact in dealing with authors and colleagues
- Awareness of libel and copyright law
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.