Program/Online Product Director
- Full Time
IEEE is the world’s largest professional association advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. We are a catalyst for exciting breakthroughs in computing, sustainable energy systems, aerospace, communications, robotics, healthcare, and many other disciplines that improve the quality of life. Discover your future as part of the IEEE team. Consider the following opportunity:
Program/Online Product Director
IEEE Collabratec, Member & Geographic Activities
Piscataway, New Jersey
Top of Form
The successful applicant will lead IEEE’s community and collaboration platform, IEEE Collabratec. This program is a highly visible initiative and plays a critical role in enabling and supporting IEEE’s strategic positioning and value proposition to its Members and the larger STEM marketplace.
In order so be successful in this role, the selected applicant will have to be an experienced product manager in the business-to-consumer online services space, with a proven track record driving product decisions incorporating data analytics and voice of the customer. This role serves as the chief evangelist for the product, manage its finances from P&L to services payment, and serves as the primary liaison between a cross-departmental product team and IEEE governance committees.
The position reports to the Director, Member Products & Programs. This position has three direct reports, and directs the efforts of teams across the IEEE in a matrix-style reporting structure
The position shall deliver on the following goals of the program: IEEE Reach; User Satisfaction; User Engagement, and Financial Return, as follows:
(50%) Product Operations:
Operations of the platform shall be executed in alignment with program strategy and plan spanning four goals:
IEEE Reach – In partnership with marketing and communications staff, establish positioning and priorities for driving new registrations the platform, with special attention to increasing adoption by IEEE Members and affiliated audiences.
User Satisfaction – Through a voice of the customer program, drive improvements to the user experience and lead the program team’s prioritization of platform enhancements. In partnership with research team, identify and implement user and focus group research agenda, and use findings to inform marketing positioning and platform roadmap.
User Engagement – In partnership with marketing and development teams, drive repeat visitation to the platform through the implementation of features and promotions that best leverage the platform’s core capabilities and positioning, including a new and expanding collaborative filtering knowledge graph. Drive delivery of program’s engagement reporting and metrics dashboards in alignment with program goals, and IEEE strategic objectives.
Financial Return – Identify financial return opportunities, and drive the platform’s total financial return to the IEEE, inclusive of income that is direct to the platform, expansion of the platform’s knowledge graph to drive a personalized experience, cost avoidance through consolidation of products, and targeted marketing support for IEEE products and services.
(20%) Product Strategy and Planning:
• In collaboration with program team, prepares and delivers annual updates to business plan, requiring approval by program’s Steering Committee and the IEEE Board of Directors
• Assumes complete ownership of the program budget and related processes for operational and capital expenditures. In collaboration with financial teams, accountable for budget planning, monthly forecasting, invoice approval, accounting reconciliation, and statement preparation.
• Drives constant analysis and evaluation of the platform to ensure competitive advantage or parity. This includes gathering feedback from customers and users as well as analyzing usage of the site and conducting regular review of competitive platforms
• Provides strategic direction for the platform life cycle by defining and implementing processes that drive ongoing enhancements and updates to ensure the platforms not only meet today’s needs but anticipate the future needs of members, customers, users, and the product manager stakeholders
(15%) Staff / Team Management:
• Manages goal-setting, status reporting, coaching, and performance evaluation of 3 direct reports.
• Operates in a matrix-management accountability structure, coordinating the activities of cross-functional project team consisting of staff who report to other departments
• Collaborates with individuals who hold Volunteer positions with IEEE globally
• Serves as a liaison for the program to appropriate Executive Staff and Volunteer leadership, and ensures effective status reporting and/or proposals to IEEE Board of Directors and its committees. This also includes preparing materials and presenting to the various IEEE Collabratec volunteer/staff oversight committees.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required in either a Business Administration or technical field such as Engineering or Computer Science or related fields in Product Marketing. An advanced degree such as an MBA is highly preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of closely related experience in electronic information products required, including social networks, communities, scholarly collaboration networks (e.g., Mendeley, Research Gate, etc.), and social analytics tools.
- Minimum 7 years of project management experience required.
- Minimum 7 years of experience assembling and evangelizing business plans, inclusive of developing P&Ls and forecasting.
- At least 7 years management experience required. Proven knowledge and experience managing end-user and institutional markets for social networking, online communities, online collaboration, or online publishing tools.
Skills & Other Requirements:
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, and ability to prepare and deliver presentations to volunteers and staff at all levels, including Board-level updates and briefings.
- Must have demonstrated skills in successfully managing direct-reporting and indirect-reporting staff and contractors as well as working with volunteer leaders.
- Ability to lead a cross-functional team of stakeholders in a matrix management structure, to mutual agreement.
- Must possess exceptional attention to detail, and strong timeline/deadline management skills to balance competing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal, data interpretation, and analytical skills.
- Must be a technology savvy knowledge worker who seeks out technology solutions to business challenges and processes.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Gmail, Google Apps, and social network services.
Join us in an environment where people look forward to coming to work! IEEE offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, 401(k) plan with company match, a defined contribution retirement plan, a tuition reimbursement program, flexible spending accounts, company paid life insurance, and a business casual dress code.
Please apply online by going to this URL: https://ieee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=180145&tz=GMT-04%3A00
Only those resumes that go through the URL from the web address will be considered. NO THIRD PARTIES PLEASE.
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under [Category I—Office Position].
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Visit www.ieee.org to view details about open positions in one of our four offices: Los Alamitos, CA; New York City; Piscataway, NJ; & Washington, DC.
The IEEE is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.