Marketing Manager, Researcher Services
- Full Time
Division and Unit Overview
The Marketing, Sales and New Product Innovation Department is responsible for developing marketing strategies and implementing sales programs for the ACS Publications Division’s product lines. Inherent to this is analyzing all results and recommending future direction for the marketing and positioning of ACS Publications’ products within the chemical/scientific community marketplace. The Marketing Department is committed to building a better online, purchasing, and reading experience, as well as improving the scholarly research and communications environment for both the customer and the end user. Key constituents include institutional librarian administrators, corporate librarians, authors, reviewers, ACS members, editors, and the range of end-users (subscribers and non-subscribers).
A critical function of the Marketing Department is a strategic outreach program that fosters communication and nurtures relationships with many of these key constituents. With an extensive portfolio of journals, eBooks and other digital products, the Marketing Department is tasked with developing ongoing conversations and strengthening relationships to instigate positive brand recognition and ultimately increase sales and revenue. With a truly global research community as its audience, ACS Publications has a growing need to expand its footprint and influence, both on a global and regional level.
Reporting to the Senior Marketing Manager, Community Insights & Outreach, the Marketing Manager, Researcher Services is responsible for developing the strategic direction and leading product marketing and outreach efforts to engage current and prospective authors and reviewers. The incumbent will be responsible for managing existing initiatives including strategic marketing planning and execution of ACS Publications’ suite of authoring services: ACS Reviewer Lab, the ACS Publishing Center, and paid authoring services of the ACS Publications platform. In addition to these existing initiatives, the incumbent will be tasked with strategizing new tactics to achieve the overall objective of strengthening relationships with this market, instigating brand loyalty and increasing submissions—areas of focus include future manuscript assistance services and reviewer education and rewards programs. The winning candidate will also be responsible for the quarterly author newsletter and for developing author-driven material for departmental wide content marketing efforts.
The Marketing Manager, Researcher Services will brainstorm, write and produce content for a range of channels and formats, including, but not limited to, blog posts, emails, white papers, video scripts, presentation decks, infographics as well as internal and sales enablement collateral. The incumbent will take a major lead in ACS Publications’ Social Media Strategy and Policy, working with our Audience Development Strategist and other internal stakeholders to ensure messaging and reach is both consistent and significant. The incumbent will also manage the daily operations for the ACS Publications social media channels and support strategic resource development for researchers.
Front line interactions with some marketing constituents in the development and execution of position responsibilities may require some travel (up to 15%). Further responsibilities include public engagement with the researcher community through conference participation. The winning candidate must have the ability to think strategically and creatively; handle changing priorities in a deadline sensitive environment; handle confidential information with a high level of discretion; work effectively with internal and external leaders, faculty, staff and administrators; and work independently as well as a proven team member. Must have the ability to handle multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment.
Work Design: The Marketing Manager, Researcher Services will operate under the guidance of the Marketing and Outreach Leadership team leveraging the full resources of the ACS Publications marketing organization including the Design and Brand Studio, product marketing managers, web editors, research teams as well as other key stakeholders. Works under general managerial direction on goals and objectives that have a significant impact on the organization. Works with unit objectives and expert knowledge as guidance. Develops systemic solutions for highly complex problems. Uses analytical, interpretive, evaluative and/or constructive thinking to reach solutions. Serves as functional expert. May lead part of a larger functional area.
- Manage integrated marketing campaigns to include content marketing, social media marketing, email marketing, SEO, etc. for select author services.
- Engage and collaborate with cross-functional participants as needed to support content ideation, creation, activation and measurement requirements for the scientific researcher community.
- Support ACS outreach and engagement programs to the global research community. This includes contributing to the execution of key logistics for the greater Outreach team (such as the Academic Round Table, ACS on Campus, and other ACS Publications events).
- Manage the content organization of the ACS Publishing Center. Ensure that the ACS Publishing Center is optimized to guide authors through the publishing process and simply lays out the path the user takes to obtain the necessary information to successfully submit and track a manuscript.
- Use audience insights, personas, keyword research, competitive information, and existing content performance to create new collateral; adapts style, tone, and word choice to various media.
- Collect, analyze, and report on content and social media marketing success using web analytics tools to inform and optimize ongoing content marketing efforts.
- Manage day-to-day social media execution for ACS Publications’ key platforms and serve as a point person for internal social media administrators.
- Monitor key researcher listservs and communication portals and alert management to any issues and concerns, suggest and post appropriate responses in media.
- Help develop sales-focused training and educational programs to enhance sales team engagement with and empathy for researchers, targeted toward improving sales and relationship outcomes.