Director of Communications
- Full Time
About Deans for Impact
Every child deserves a well-prepared teacher. Deans for Impact is a national nonprofit organization working to make this the reality for every student in the U.S. We do this by bringing together leaders of educator-preparation programs who want to change the way they prepare beginning teachers; helping these leaders transform their programs through evidence, including our best scientific understanding about how students learn; supporting programs to sustain changes over time; and building the capacity of leaders in educator preparation to influence education policy.
At Deans for Impact, we believe that a great workplace is one where you are inspired by your colleagues and deeply engaged in your work every day. Six core values guide our work:
- Model professionalism – We model professionalism by seeking out feedback and fostering growth through honesty and humility.
- Be good stewards – We care deeply about our culture, and we expect everyone to positively nurture its growth and evolution.
- Practice good pedagogy – We create learning environments where all voices are heard; gather evidence to inform our decisions; and design activities with the end in mind.
- Always seek solutions – We take a nimble approach to develop solutions to problems, test them, and then iterate based on what we’ve learned.
- Design for inclusivity – We take deliberate steps to foster inclusivity in everything we do, from hiring to program design to identifying leaders to collaborate with.
- Transform the system – We take risks to create transformative change, and we’re not afraid to fail.
The role of Director of Communications at Deans for Impact
Deans for Impact has an ambitious plan to reach 500 leaders and transform 50 educator-preparation programs over the next four years. We believe that doing so will catalyze transformation of our entire system of educator preparation, moving us closer to a world where all children have access to well-prepared teachers. We are looking for a talented and versatile Director of Communications to help make this happen.
Our Director of Communications will first and foremost be a storyteller. We want to better tell Deans for Impact’s story to deans, teacher-educators, policymakers, and funders. This will include writing about our work as well as leading a comprehensive communications strategy to reach audiences via a variety of channels, including traditional print journalism, social media, and general marketing. The Director of Communications must be able to manage multiple workstreams in a dynamic, project-based environment.
The Director of Communications will be responsible for:
- Writing, and lots of it. We need an in-house journalist who can investigate and write about our activities with verve. We have incredible access to universities and schools all over the country, and we want to better tell the story of what’s happening in our education system through the lens of the teachers we are sending into our classrooms.
- Developing a comprehensive, multi-channel communications strategy to describe Deans for Impact’s work, and increase awareness of the organization among key audiences, including US-based educator-preparation programs, policymakers, and funders.
- Managing content creation for all collateral, social media, marketing and events, including collaborating with colleagues to generate leads and attract participants to Deans for Impact programming.
- Coordinating and managing relationships with external website developers, graphic designers, videographers, and other communications specialists.
- Analyzing data to ensure that Deans for Impact is reaching its target audiences and on track to achieve strategic priorities.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
- You have at least five years of professional work experience in journalism, marketing, and/or public relations, with a heavy emphasis on written work products.
- If you have prior teaching experience in K-12 or university settings, or have worked with teacher-preparation programs, that’s a plus.
- Skills and qualities:
- You are an exceptional writer who prizes concision and clarity.
- You can appropriately prioritize work in a dynamic, project-based environment, take on multiple tasks simultaneously, manage time effectively and deliver high-quality work on time.
- You are a strategic thinker capable of developing compelling messages to reach varied audiences (e.g. university faculty, P-12 administrators, policymakers, funders).
- You are an active listener who can hear unspoken themes and preferences, and you are attentive to your own biases in the way you interact with others.
- You take initiative, anticipate challenges, and proactively pursue solutions to problems ranging from the mundane to the complex
- You believe that education can be a powerful vehicle for fighting inequity and dismantling systems of oppression
How to Apply
Please visit http://bit.ly/DFIJobApplication to submit your application for the Director of Communications position.
IWe will start screening candidates immediately and continue until we find the right person. Deans for Impact attracts top talent, and we offer competitive wages and benefits.
For more information, visit www.deansforimpact.org.
At Deans for Impact, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission. We hope you will join us as we continue to build an organization where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and all identities are affirmed.
Deans for Impact provides equal opportunity in employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.