- Full Time
Radio Free Asia (RFA) is a private, Washington, DC-based, nonprofit corporation that provides accurate and timely news and information to Asian countries whose governments prohibit access to a free press. Delivered in nine Asian languages in addition to English, our journalism extends beyond radio to include web, video, mobile, and e-books.
RFA is currently seeking a savvy and talented self-starter with a desire to learn, contribute, and collaborate with a nimble Communications team to help strengthen RFA’s media and public relations efforts as a Communications Specialist. In addition to the qualifications listed below, this entry/junior-level position requires excellent writing and research skills, a zeal for journalism and storytelling, the ability to be flexible in priorities and workflow, familiarity with RFA’s markets and other media, and a degree of fluency in digital innovation and new technology. Skills in RFA's broadcast languages (especially Mandarin, Korean, or Vietnamese) a plus.
- Drafting press releases, newsletters, fact sheets, memos/backgrounders and other related materials, proactively and as needed.
- Tracking and researching policy issues important to RFA and target markets (in China, North Korea, and SE Asia) – especially with regards to media freedom/free speech.
- Monitoring media coverage and reporting it to a larger team.
- Building targeted media and influencer lists.
- Responding to outside requests from journalists and working with internal departments to respond to queries in a timely, effective way.
- Preparing and staffing RFA leadership/personnel at public events and interviews.
- Compiling highlights and information to be used in external/promotional materials.
- Planning and implementing events (outside and internal).
- Assisting with internal and corporate communications needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or other related field.
- Professional experience in communications/public affairs/media relations (in house or agency).
- Excellent writing skills with ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, succinct, compelling, and easy-to-understand manner.
- Superior attention to detail, strong organizational skills and work ethic, and ability to multitask and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills with ability to communicate effectively with others of varying levels of English proficiency.
- Strong knowledge of new/social media and technology – including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently under own initiative.
- Knowledge of media freedom issues and politics in Asia.
- Proficiency with MS Office, photo and video editing software a plus.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the US as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply: Send résumé with cover letter making reference to “Communications Specialist” via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.