Senior Director of Internal Communications
- Full Time
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute¿designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Director of Internal Communications.
The Senior Director of Internal Communications will be responsible for creating and executing the internal communications and recognition strategy across our entire organization. This individual will craft and deliver creative, relevant messaging to build a more united, collaborative, and engaged workforce (includes more than 40,000 employees). In partnership with the various business teams, the senior director of internal Communication will ensure the internal communications strategy builds the power of the NYU Langone brand internally and creates alignment with our organization’s Mission, Vision, Values and business strategy. The incumbent will support the institutional efforts to become an employer of choice. Additionally, the Senior Director will identify challenges and issues faced by the organization and work closely with the senior vice president of marketing and communications, leadership team and staff to develop communications solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Develop the internal communications strategy to clearly and frequently communicate key business initiatives to inform, align and energize our teams regardless of location. This includes, but is not limited to, internal publications such as newsletters, emails, as well as online, intranet, and video projects.
- Partner with business leaders to prepare strategic communications plans, executive communications and documents needed for internal announcements.
- Create and publish content for a variety of internal communications mediums.
- Support change management efforts
- Lead communications for new acquisitions, including the onboarding of the new staff and ongoing engagement initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with various functions across the organization to create a communication calendar that structures the flow of communication to reflect the business needs of the company and builds culture through the sharing of stories.
- Manage communications activities that promote, enhance and protect our internal brand and reputation.
- Work to develop and implement a consistent voice and tone for leadership communications
- Standardize and increase efficiency of our current communication practices by providing more structure and identifying the best vehicles for each audience.
- Lead efforts in conjunction with our Technology team to ensure appropriate communication tools are available and appropriately leveraged.
- Track and measure results to ensure compliance with communications objectives.
- Serve as liaison between internal communications and other key business functions.
- Guide activities of the internal communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Oversee relationships with external communications partners and vendors.
- Manage an internal communications team to support the development and execution of communications strategy.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountability, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisal.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and quality.
- Work in close partnership with members of the Executive Leadership Team, Human Resources, MCIT, Emergency Management, and Institutional Communications.
Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred, preferably in communications, journalism or English. 10+ years of experience working in a hospital, medical center or corporate communications, including 6+ years of experience in employee communications. Must have progressive leadership experience. Experience developing and implementing strategic communications plans across a highly matrixed organization and in alignment with the goals of the organization. Proven success in increasing staff engagement, development of institutional messaging and content, and connecting with diverse, disparate audiences, including staff who do not have regular access to computers. Supervisory and management experience, including management of freelancers and departmental or project budgets. Ability to simultaneously conceive, manage, execute, and coordinate a number of complex internal communications projects within tight timelines and budget parameters. Proven ability to understand and apply concepts and best practices used in issue identification, message formulation, communication delivery, and audience targeting, including the ability to use analytics to gauge and boost readership and engagement. Demonstrated success in building internal business relationships at a senior level with a proven record of accomplishment in internal communications. Excellent writing and editing skills. Polished executive presence and demeanor. Creative self-starter with excellent judgment; proactive; able to manage multiple priorities, stakeholders, and projects and follow through to completion; a problem-solver and team player; and deadline oriented
- Healthcare experience; knowledge of an academic medical center setting. Ability to translate complex health care information for the lay audience.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.