Graphic and Data Visualization Designer (Job ID: 2019-2014)
- Full Time
The Brookings Institution
Equal-Opportunity Employer: It is Brookings policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all of its employees and applicants without regard to their actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, citizenship status, family responsibilities, gender identity or expression, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, veteran status, or any other prohibited basis of discrimination as required by law.
Job Funtion Communications
Posted Date 2019-03-14
Job ID 2019-2014
Salary Commensurate with experience
The Communications Department's mission is to provide the tools, strategies, products and programs to support the brand and its content, and to continually grow Brookings’s impact and effectiveness as a change agent for public policy in the United States and around the world. This purpose is realized if we help our scholars raise awareness, set the agenda and shape the debate around the public policy issues they choose to address.
The Graphic/Data Visualization Designer designs graphics and creates illustrations for interactive experiences on the Brookings web site; creates figures and graphics for use in presentations. Design and layout Brookings print publications, including reports, fact-sheets, and other printed items.
Graphic/Web Design (50%)
- Create graphics to support Brookings publications on the web and in print
- Create visuals and interactive experiences to support Brookings publications on the web
- Create comps, wireframes, and other materials necessary to guide the development of engaging Brookings content experiences
- Create miscellaneous graphics for the Brookings website, social media channels, interactive features, and other content
- Create concept illustrations that communicate Brookings research topics.
- Create layouts for reports and essays
Data Visualization and Graphic Content Creation (40%)
- Draft and design visualization products incorporating feedback from clients.
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data and written information to identify bottom-line messages to create clear, convincing visuals that make those messages easily understandable
- Create compelling data visualizations and infographics in support of Brookings research
- Collaborate with staff to create infographics and other visualizations to be used strategically various social media platforms
- Perform quality assurance on final products in conjunction with Brookings researchers and communications professionals
- Participates in meetings with high-level internal stakeholders to facilitate product development. Acts as liaison with teams and programs on matters involving graphics and visual illustrations
Print and Other Design (10%)
- Work in close conjunction with Brookings researchers and communications professionals, design and layout Brookings print reports, incorporating text, figures and photographs
- Create graphics for use in Brookings Keynote and PowerPoint presentations
Minimum bachelor’s degree required, bachelor of fine art degree in graphic design preferred. Minimum five years of work experience designing for the web. Must present online portfolio of work that shows versatile design aesthetic and examples of innovative and thoughtful web and data visualization design.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.