Senior Director of Marketing and Branding
- Full Time
Job Title: Senior Director of Marketing and Branding
Department: Office of Marketing and Communications
Posting Number: 201301577P
Full or Part Time: Full Time
Number of Months: 12
Work Schedule: Work performed during standard business hours, overtime expected to meet deadlines. Light travel may be necessary.
Open Date: 03/13/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants: For first consideration please apply before April 17, 2019.
Reporting to the executive director of marketing and communications, the senior director of marketing and branding will be responsible for defining an optimal brand position and strategy for University of the Pacific, and developing, executing, managing and measuring its effective implementation across the institution.
In collaboration with the associate vice president of marketing communications and executive director of marketing communications, the senior director will be the chief brand champion for Pacific, responsible for building consensus behind effective execution of the brand’s visual and voice expressions across the organization, and ensuring that long-term investments in marketing efforts are optimized to sustain the brand.
The senior director of marketing and branding will have direct experience in brand management, a deep understanding of brand development and execution, and the demonstrated ability to build consensus and momentum with diverse groups across the university.
The senior director of marketing and branding will also have demonstrated experience in development and execution of effective marketing and communications strategies in other industries than higher education and be able to apply those skills and talents to their portfolio of work.
1. Analyzes Pacific’s brand in the market and develops a brand strategy and position that increases awareness and support of University of the Pacific, its schools and programs.
2. Operates with high level of autonomous decision making and knows how to effectively collaborate with senior leaders to seamlessly advance university with important constituencies.
3. Cultivates and manages relationships with leadership and marketing professionals in the schools and units to drive effective university brand and marketing strategies and plans that build enrollment, increase donor and alumni participation, retain students and employees, and expand external support.
4. Leads and directly supervises marketing director, whose direct reports include marketing professionals from the School of Computer Science and Engineering, College of the Pacific, the Career Resource Center, the Conservatory of Music, and University College.
5. Leads strategy to communicate with Pacific’s key stakeholders and manages staff to develop cross-channel, integrated marketing plans that consider owned and paid media, earned media, social media, digital media and influencer marketing.
6. Partners with Enrollment Management and Graduate School leadership on the university’s marketing and branding to provide guidance and support to undergraduate and graduate recruitment and retention efforts.
7. Serves as a member of the Marketing and Communications leadership team and partners closely with fellow team members, including creative services, digital communications, internal communications and media relations, to build and execute integrated campaigns that are part of the long-term brand strategy.
8. Measures and reports on performance of all university branding and marketing campaigns; oversees staff in refining and updating plans. Oversees marketing budget and spend, and makes budget recommendations each fiscal year.
9. Monitors market trends and competitors to identify opportunities for Pacific’s positioning; uses existing data and conducts research to complete annual SWOT analysis to inform Pacific’s branding and marketing strategy.
10. In partnership with AVP marketing and communications and executive director, convenes and leads 3-City Integrated Marketing Committee monthly, planning annual agendas, speakers, and programs. Develops feedback loop to measure results.
11. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field; 10-plus years of experience in strategic marketing, branding or related field.
• Deep understanding of and experience with defining an organization’s optimal brand position and strategy, and developing, executing, managing and measuring its effective implementation.
• Excellent at fostering collaborative professional relationships and building consensus.
• Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound professional judgment.
• Demonstrated experience working in complex, matrixed organizations.
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate strong relationships with senior leaders, administrators, deans, faculty, staff and student leaders and others throughout and outside the university.
• Demonstrated ability and maturity to work with sensitive information and use discretion.
• Proven ability to develop and execute an integrated marketing strategy with metrics for success.
• Strong research and analytical skills to forecast and identify trends and challenges.
• Demonstrated experience managing a diverse staff and creative team in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
• Strong ability to express ideas and concepts concisely to a broad range of audiences who possess varying degrees of understanding.
• Excellent customer service skills with focus on exceptional follow-through.
• Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively managing multiple priorities while maintaining adherence to deadlines and budgets.
• Demonstrated experience being resourceful, taking initiative, and being a committed team player with a goal-oriented attitude.
• Excellent writing, editing and presentation skills; clear and articulate communicator who can translate complex technical ideas easily.
• Computer proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite products.
• Positive attitude and proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
• Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented and strong ability to multi-task and work on a cross-functional team.
• Proficiency to build and manage high-performance, highly collaborative teams.
• Ability to provide mentorship, coaching and feedback in a constructive manner.
• Advanced degree preferred.
• Experience in higher education, education, academic or non-profit setting highly desired.
• CRM experience very helpful.
Commensurate with experience, exempt
Background Check Statement
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
AA/EEO Policy Statement
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.