Associate Vice President, Development & Communications
1 day left
- Full Time
The AVP, Development & Communications will directly lead and oversee all fundraising and communications activities and serve as a member of the Fortune Society's senior executive team. S/he will hold the primary responsibility for achieving the fundraising goals for the organization, including funding raised from government RFPs, appropriations, private foundations, individual and major donors, and fundraising events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish annual Fundraising Plan to set forth fundraising goals in major areas, including government and private funds.
- Provide direct daily oversight, supervision, and guidance to all key Development and Communications staff to foster a highly collaborative and effective team, along with the Fall Gala event consultant and other consultants.
- Serve as the primary staff liaison to the Development Committee and work with all Board Members and senior staff to cultivate relationships with donors and to plan fundraising events, including the annual Fall Benefit and NYC Marathon.
- Continue to build on the Planned Giving campaign recently launched as “David’s Circle.”
- Supervise and provide direction to Individual Giving staff to increase funds raised from individual donors through events, cultivation, stewardship, fundraising appeals, etc. Maximize the utilization of the Raiser’s Edge database for the purposes of tracking donations, generating acknowledgement letters, cultivating donors, and managing all donor relationships including those generated by Executive team and Board contacts.
- Supervise and provide direction to the Grant Writing team to maximize the success of funds raised from government RFPs, appropriations and private foundations.
- Supervise and provide direction to staff and consultants on all aspects of communications, including website, Fortune Weekly email, Fortune News, Annual Report, policy publications, all social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn), and graphic design for all publications, events, and agency-wide marketing materials (flyers, micro-sites, signage, etc.).
- Conduct extensive outreach and cultivation to build and sustain strong relationships with private foundation and corporation staff to support direct services, policy/advocacy, and general operating funding needs for the organization.
- Work closely with public relations firm(s) to generate media stories about our programs, services, clients and staff success stories, policy/advocacy, and criminal justice expertise.
- Work closely with our lobbyists on the State and City levels to advocate for increased appropriations funding; prepare for, facilitate, and conduct follow-up for meetings and visits with key legislators and government officials.
- Initiate and oversee the development of innovative projects and collaborative partnerships with other non-profit organizations, government agencies, foundations and corporations that facilitate new fundraising opportunities – especially related to our creative arts and policy/advocacy work, as vehicles to elevate Fortune’s visibility and impact in the field.
- Oversee confidential prospect research and analysis on key donors (including and not limited to biographical, philanthropic, professional, and personal financial information of donors and prospects).
- Provide executive-level leadership for the organization as a whole and draw upon agency-wide and executive team strengths in fundraising and communications work.
- Other duties, as needed.
- Grant Writing team
- Individual and Major Gifts staff
- Communications staff and marketing/digital media consultant
- Consultants (fundraising events, lobbying firm, PR firms)
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and addressing employee relations and resolving problems.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; Master’s degree level of expertise preferred, although degree not necessary.
- Five to seven years of management and fundraising experience in an organization heavily dependent on government grants.
- Demonstrated skill in government grant writing with a hands-on direct management style in this area.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of strategies for cultivation and solicitation of institutional and individual funders is essential, including major gift and/or capital campaign experience.
- Comfortable interacting with a wide array of constituencies, including board members, major donors, clients, and community members.
- The candidate must be an excellent writer and have extensive experience in fundraising, managing volunteer leadership, and budgeting.
- Strong demonstrated history of effective management is essential.
- Must be detail oriented and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal life experience is a plus.
Travel and Scheduling Requirements – Requires some travel for events and meetings, along with travel to our Harlem location, and ability to attend key events and meetings periodically held on evenings or weekends.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, citizenship status, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.