Social Media Manager
- Full Time
Position: Social Media Manager
Reports to: Director of Marketing
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Location: Headquarters in Brookline, MA
Start date: Immediate
The Organization and The Opportunity:
Facing History and Ourselves exists to create a world shaped by knowledge and compassion, rather than bigotry or prejudice. Facing History helps teachers create classrooms where students can learn to make ethical decisions with courage and compassion. It helps to build schools that have the capacity to both teach about and model civil society by promoting respect and understanding. The leadership and staff of Facing History have developed a clear plan to dramatically increase impact over the next five years – and given the current climate in our world, its mission could not be more urgent.
Facing History integrates the study of history and literature with students’ deep reflection on identity, their relationship to larger communities, and their choices about how to participate in society. It works directly with middle and high school teachers, providing innovative teaching strategies, curricular resources, best-in-class professional development, and ongoing coaching. Facing History trusts students to wrestle with complex moments in human history and teaches them to avoid facile moral equivalencies. Successful Facing History students learn that history isn’t inevitable, but is the result of people’s behavior. Demonstrably, students who know that their choices make history turn out to be more rigorous historians, more civically engaged with their peers and society, and more likely to stand up when they see bullying.
Facing History will soon complete the second year of a strategic plan with growth targets of doubling our teacher network of implementing teachers to nearly 200,000 by 2022, as well as doubling our individual donor base. Reporting to the Director of Marketing, the social media manager will be responsible for amplifying the brand, engaging constituents, and delivering integrated marketing campaigns which efficiently deliver meaningful progress toward Facing History’s goals.
An integral part of the Marketing and Communications team, the Social Media Manager will be responsible for both the strategy and day-to-day operations of the organization’s social media channels, helping to create an integrated experience across multiple platforms. The position will report to the Director of Marketing and will work closely with both internal and external stakeholders.
Facing History seeks a creative individual with a passion for social media and who is up-to-date on the most recent media trends and strategies. The Manager will work with colleagues, senior managers, and staff from across the organization to manage our communities, messaging, engagement, and campaigns. Successful candidates will have strong analytic skills and be proficient in managing a content calendar, paid media budget, and performance metrics, including engagement, traffic and conversion. Their focus will be Facing History’s social media channels, while also contributing to our team, office and organization culture.
- Create a social media strategy with clear goals and objectives; manage the strategy, tactics and execution of daily engagement (organic) and promotion (paid) across Facing History’s social channels: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube with possible growth to new platforms such as Medium and Pinterest.
- Work with colleagues in marketing, communications and program to create compelling and dynamic content that will build awareness, encourage engagement, and help to reach new audiences. Track and monitor posts and mentions of the Facing History using alerts, search and other tools. Encourage engagement by managing opportunities for follower pushes, engaging with influencers, etc. Manage and develop content for the Twitter handle of Facing History’s President & CEO.
- Develop a regular publishing schedule with our audiences in mind, and track key dates such as global events, holidays and news that may impact the content shared. Collaborate cross-organizationally to ensure brand and programmatic consistency. Keep all content on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality, and voice.
- Manage all paid promotion, including advertising strategy, creation of ad units, and target audience development, monitoring, tracking budgets and reporting.
- Create and present social media metrics and marketing reports, by project and monthly, including research and competitive analysis of similar organizations.
- Identify new trends in social media and propose ways for Facing History to leverage those trends. Suggest and implement new features to develop brand awareness.
- Respond directly to social media inquiries across various platforms.
- Assist with the development of marketing plans, reports, project recommendations, and presentations; provide support to organization and regional events.
- Strong knowledge of leveraging social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blogs, and working knowledge of web analytics. Experience planning, managing and executing successful social media campaigns a must, Google Analytics a plus.
- Experience with basic content management and marketing automation systems, experience with Hubspot preferred.
- B.A. or equivalent experience; minimum of 3-5 years of experience specifically in social media management; non profit or related field.
- Excellent communicator and creative thinker, with an ability to use both data and intuition to inform decisions.
- The ability to write creatively, clearly, and compellingly. An eye for detail and impeccable grammar.
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a fast-paced, team environment. Candidates must bring positive and enthusiastic attitude, along with flexibility and listening skills.
- Must be organized, detail-oriented and deadline-driven, and able to prioritize multiple projects.
- Passion for the mission and work of Facing History and Ourselves.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required.
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applications ONLY accepted online. Job posted until filled.