Digital Production Assistant
- Full Time
W.W. Norton is seeking a Digital Production Assistant to join its Production Department. This position reports directly to the Director of Pre-Press Production.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Works primarily in Adobe InDesign handling a continuous book production workflow—entering copyedits into book files, adjusting layouts as needed, while assuring accuracy and adherence to company standards.
• Composes complete books from manuscript to pagination using Adobe InDesign.
• Assesses and ensures print capability of all photos and illustrations. This includes vetting the specs of Photoshop and Illustrator files, cleaning dust and scratches from old photographs, silhouetting, adjusting levels and curves as needed, proofing and color correcting.
• Performs various production tasks including creating/compiling PDFs, updating manuscripts, posting and retrieving files using an FTP and other file transfer methods.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours in Norton’s NYC headquarters.
• Must have experience working with text-heavy InDesign documents—book production experience strongly preferred.
• Must have working knowledge of Photoshop.
• Must be highly organized, disciplined, and self-motivated.
• Must have good time management skills with the ability to anticipate the needs of a deadline driven workload, and continuously prioritize tasks as they arrive.
• Must be detail oriented and able to deliver varying volumes of work with speed and accuracy.
• Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, and MS Word.
• Experience with HTML, Adobe Illustrator, and Filemaker Pro a plus.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years”. In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital supplements that support teaching and learning. For more information about the Company, visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.