Video Journalist, Originals
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a video journalist for its New York-based original video team. Video journalists are responsible for producing topical, news-focused and feature videos, ranging in length from two to seven minutes. Top candidates for this position will have a professional background in video journalism, demonstrate exceptional shooting and editing skills, and have experience with graphics.
Please note, this is not an entry-level position and, although we often tell narrative stories, it is not a position producing documentaries. Those in the role juggle many tasks and should be excited about pitching, developing, researching and reporting stories, shooting and editing videos - both in the studio and in the field, and working collaboratively with WSJ’s reporters and editors across a variety of coverage areas. Because this is a global news operation, candidates need to show successful executions of timely news projects that have been done in just a few hours, as well as videos produced with longer lead times.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Pitching, developing, researching, reporting and writing stories
- Shooting and editing videos in-studio and in the field
- Partnering with reporters and editors across the newsroom to identify and produce timely video news pieces that are visually distinctive and of interest to the WSJ audience
- Managing multiple projects in various stages of production
- Ensuring that all journalistic and legal standards are followed at all times
- Ability to work late hours and weekends both as part of a regular weekend rotation and as news developments may warrant
- Completing additional duties as assigned
Key candidate requirements:
- At least three years’ experience producing videos in a daily news environment, preferably at a top-tier news organization
- Ability to convey news and tell stories in creative ways using high-quality video and graphics
- Deep understanding of, and interest in, The Wall Street Journal’s core topic areas
- Demonstrated experience with multiple camera setups, including but not limited to the Sony FS5, FS7, C100 and C300
- Adept with studio lighting setups as well as field shoots
- Professional-level understanding of Adobe Suite, with a high level of expertise in Premiere and basic knowledge of After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Clear communicator with exceptional written and collaboration skills
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter clearly outlining how their skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, along with links to five videos that represent the type of work described.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 16080